Subject: bug#64079: closed (Re: bug#64079: 28.2; dired-mouse-find-file does not respect dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:15:01 +0000

Your bug report

#64079: 28.2; dired-mouse-find-file does not respect dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64079: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64079
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64079: 28.2; dired-mouse-find-file does not respect dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Fadi Moukayed <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:14:30 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Fadi Moukayed <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:10:25 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Hi Eli,
> 
> Thanks a lot. Just tested your patch a few moments ago (with
> dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-bufferset to t) and it fixes the issue.
> 
> I also tested the default behavior (with
> dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer
> set to nil), and everything works as expected in that case as well.

Thanks for testing.  I've now installed the fix on the emacs-29
branch, and I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 28.2; dired-mouse-find-file does not respect dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer
From: Fadi Moukayed <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:54:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

While attempting to rebind mouse-3 to `dired-mouse-find-file', I noticed
that the `dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer' customization option
is not being respected. `dired-mouse-find-file' opens directories in new
dired buffers in all cases.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Emacs
2. Open a `dired' buffer, e.g. using C-x d
3. Use M-: and evaluate the expression `(define-key dired-mode-map [mouse-3]
'dired-mouse-find-file)'
4. Navigate a nested directory tree (e.g. a/b/c/d) in dired by right-clicking
on the directory names.

Expected behavior:

Only a dired buffer for d is retained.

Observed behavior:

dired buffers a, b, c are created and retained in addition to d.

Hints:

`dired-mouse-find-file' needs to contain similar logic to
`dired--find-possibly-alternative-file' for checking the customization
variable, or needs to delegate to the latter function.

---

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-06-02 built on lcy02-amd64-102
Repository revision: 08cc469f8738bad2a31ce5b4c4c55301b71d598b
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo --with-native-compilation
 'CFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
 -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
 -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-goto-address-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  fido-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail display-line-numbers
org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar
ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
format-spec disp-table dracula-theme pcase delsel recentf tree-widget
wid-edit whitespace goto-addr thingatpt icomplete desktop frameset
cua-base cus-load finder-inf windmove edmacro kmacro site-start comp
comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode info slime-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 495514 24906)
 (symbols 48 30214 1)
 (strings 32 149409 4103)
 (string-bytes 1 4176844)
 (vectors 16 55880)
 (vector-slots 8 1622923 37169)
 (floats 8 363 740)
 (intervals 56 619 88)
 (buffers 992 12))