Subject: bug#64059: closed (Re: bug#64059: Sudden unexplained error during guix pull: "channel dependency has an invalid introduction field")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 16:20:21 +0000

Your bug report

#64059: Sudden unexplained error during guix pull: "channel dependency has an invalid introduction field"

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64059: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64059
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64059: Sudden unexplained error during guix pull: "channel dependency has an invalid introduction field"
From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
To: "N. Y." <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 17:04:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 at 01:37, "N. Y." <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>  I've purposefully added this new error to warn users that their
>>  .guix-channel's introduction forms were erroneous.  Previously, they
>>  were silently being dropped.  The formats in a channels.scm file and in
>>  the .guix-channel file are *not* the same!  Please see "(guix) Declaring
>>  Channel Dependencies" for an example of the format.

[...]

> Thank you so much for your help! Indeed, the .channels.scm files of my
> custom channels had invalid introduction fields. That's on me --- I
> should've read the error message more carefully!

Therefore closing.

Feel free to reopen if I have misunderstood.

Cheers,
simon

Subject: Sudden unexplained error during guix pull: "channel dependency has an invalid introduction field"
From: "N. Y." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 01:56:12 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

I am suddenly having errors with guix pull while pulling my own custom
channels, after upgrading guix yesterday. My custom channels has not
changed since early April. I am sure I was able to pull from my custom
channels when I last upgraded around early June.

The error is "channel dependency has an invalid introduction field," but
the introduction fields of my custom channels have the same form as those I
use for GNU guix and nonguix channels which I can pull without errors; and
the channel introductions and GPG fingerprints are unchanged from the last
time I was able to pull successfully (I have the channels.scm file under
version control).

There are two private channels. Including either of them are sufficient to
replicate the error; at least one is necessary to replicate the error.

Command line output:

ning@bluecoral ~/roamdb/notes/tasks$ guix pull
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Updating channel 'nonguix' from Git repository at '
https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix'...
Updating channel 'ninguix' from Git repository at '
https://github.com/ning-y/ninguix'...
/home/ning/.cache/guix/checkouts/y6rzf466if75ebhoqonk2dqs6ac5d75tvkvziqptmqvawztuphda/.guix-channel:10:4:
error: channel dependency has an invalid introduction field

ning@bluecoral ~/roamdb/notes/tasks$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) b94cbbbce70f59b795526a0ed305facf041e6faa
Copyright (C) 2023 the Guix authors
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

ning@bluecoral ~/roamdb/notes/tasks$ cat ~/.config/guix/channels.scm
(list (channel
        (name 'guix)
        (url "https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git")
        (branch "master")
        (introduction
          (make-channel-introduction
            "9edb3f66fd807b096b48283debdcddccfea34bad"
            (openpgp-fingerprint
              "BBB0 2DDF 2CEA F6A8 0D1D  E643 A2A0 6DF2 A33A 54FA"))))
      (channel
        (name 'nonguix)
        (url "https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix")
        (branch "master")
        (introduction
          (make-channel-introduction
            "897c1a470da759236cc11798f4e0a5f7d4d59fbc"
            (openpgp-fingerprint
              "2A39 3FFF 68F4 EF7A 3D29  12AF 6F51 20A0 22FB B2D5"))))
      (channel
        (name 'ninguix)
        (url "https://github.com/ning-y/ninguix")
        (branch "main")
        (introduction
          (make-channel-introduction
            "3f7eb8b5064445d72649b1b27f714b86f3946a9a"
            (openpgp-fingerprint
              "4523 A758 035C 5177 7A8F  1E1F 2CB0 E8CD 7035 5FB7"))))
      (channel
        (name 'ninguix-private)
        (url "[email-masked]:ning-y/ninguix-private.git")
        (branch "main")
        (introduction
          (make-channel-introduction
            "01f91f7dba5a4949a0719e0ff0e85bb8b0050128"
            (openpgp-fingerprint
              "4523 A758 035C 5177 7A8F  1E1F 2CB0 E8CD 7035 5FB7")))))