Subject: bug#64055: [WIP Patch] Enable editing commit messages - vc-git-modify-change-comment

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 15:18:18 +0300

> From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 17:30:16 +0800
> 
> The main point is that parsing text out of the log view buffer is much
> more error-prone.  For example, with a non-distributed VCS like CVS,
> what if someone else has edited the comment in the meantime?  It makes
> sense to fetch the latest known version instead of relying on buffer
> text.

Now I'm confused: didn't you just tell me that CVS already had this
implemented, without ever needing the new backend method?  How do we
solve this problem in the CVS case without risking the errors?  What
you say above seems to tell that we do need an implementation of this
method for CVS as well, no?  Or what am I missing?

> So, I hope that we will eventually completely replace
> log-view-extract-comment.

So you do agree with me that we should have this implemented for other
backends, and the sooner the better?