Subject: bug#64055: [WIP Patch] Enable editing commit messages - vc-git-modify-change-comment

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 14:20:23 +0800

Hello,

On Fri 18 Oct 2024 at 08:26am +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The commit log message for the changes doesn't mention the bug number;
> please always remember to do that in the future.  In this case, the
> discussion leading to the change is long and significant, so including
> a pointer to it is important for future forensics.

In this case, my commits didn't add vc-git-modify-change-comment, and
most of the discussion in this bug has been about that.  So, I thought
that it would be best to include the bug number in the later commit
adding vc-git-modify-change-comment, and not in any commits I've made so
far.  Would you prefer that it had been included in all of them?

> More importantly, why are we installing changes in VC that are
> supported by a single backend?  This is against the VC design
> principles.  Let's please install soon implementations for other
> relevant backends.  I think this should be very simple, but if you
> need help for some backends, feel free to ask for it.

Actually, in this case, the functionality already exists for SCCS, RCS,
CVS, SVN and Hg in log-view-extract-comment, and I was just adding
support for Git.

> Btw, since CVS has an existing command-line option to amend the log
> message of a particular commit, I wonder whether the design that goes
> through a separate backend function which extracts the comment first
> is valid.

We still need to extract the comment first so that the user has some
text to edit.

-- 
Sean Whitton