Subject: Re: bug#64055: [WIP Patch] Enable editing commit messages - vc-git-modify-change-comment

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 10:48:03 +0800

Hello,

On Thu 10 Oct 2024 at 10:39am +08, Sean Whitton wrote:

> So one thing we could do is add a VC backend action which returns just
> the message text that a human might want to edit.
> Probably a backend action called `get-change-comment'.
>
> I think, though, that there might be subtle complexities there.  For
> example, should there be a FILES argument, or just a REVISION argument?
> For Git and Hg it's just REVISION, but we wouldn't want to bake that in.
>
> I think, therefore, that the approach of parsing text out of the
> log-view buffer is more future-proof, even though it's complex.

Hmm.  We could just include all arguments that might be wanted and then
backend functions can ignore them.

I would appreciate opinions comparing adding a new get-change-comment VC
backend function with something like the WIP I posted.

-- 
Sean Whitton