Subject: bug#64055: Implementation of modifying VC change comments for Git

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2024 03:05:09 +0200

On 26/10/2024 06:12, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> Maybe we can rephrase it like this:
>>
>>   Some VCS commands can change your copy of published change history
>>   without warning.  In VC we try to detect before that happens, and stop.
>>   You can customize this variable to permit rewriting history
>>   even though Emacs thinks it is dangerous.
>>
>>   So far, this applies only to using 'e' from Log View mode for Git.
> Whether or not there is a strict mismatch, I like your new text more.
> Please install it.
> 
>> BTW, there is another existing command which can end up changing
>> published history: 'vc-git-log-edit-toggle-amend'. I wonder what will
>> be our plan for it. Maybe we just add the same check there.
> Thanks for reminding me about this.  Yes, I think it should be fine to
> just add (vc-git--assert-allowed-rewrite "HEAD") or similar.  Would you
> like to do it along with your NEWS change?  I guess, then, dropping the
> "So far ..." sentence.

Great! Pushed in 2030b8c7f24.

Speaking of the description in NEWS, completion just reminded me that we 
also have vc-hg-log-edit-toggle-amend, maybe we could also do something 
about it.

I also got to thinking about the older VCSes supporting 
'modify-change-comment'. OT1H it also modifies "published history" in 
those instances. OT2H it does that in a way that won't lead to later 
conflict, because none of those systems are distributed. So I suppose we 
don't need to worry about them.