Subject: Re: bug#64055: Implementation of modifying VC change comments for Git

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2024 04:58:43 +0300

Hi Sean,

On 20/10/2024 08:19, Sean Whitton wrote:
> +Many Git commands can change your copy of published change history
> +without warning.  If VC commands detect that this could happen, they
> +will stop.  You can customize this variable to permit rewriting history
> +even though Emacs thinks it is dangerous.
> +
> +So far, this applies only to the 'log-view-modify-change-comment'
> +command.

Coming back to this text - do you think the first and the last sentences 
might mismatch? First we talk about "many Git commands", next sentence 
"VC commands", plural. And in the end we say this only applies to one.

Maybe we can rephrase it like this:

  Some VCS commands can change your copy of published change history
  without warning.  In VC we try to detect before that happens, and stop.
  You can customize this variable to permit rewriting history
  even though Emacs thinks it is dangerous.

  So far, this applies only to using 'e' from Log View mode for Git.

BTW, there is another existing command which can end up changing 
published history: 'vc-git-log-edit-toggle-amend'. I wonder what will be 
our plan for it. Maybe we just add the same check there.