Subject: Re: bug#64055: [WIP Patch] Enable editing commit messages - vc-git-modify-change-comment

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:30:12 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:54:20 -0400, Morgan Smith <[email-masked]> said:

    Morgan> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> Yes, eg magitʼs interactive rebase is great for that kind of stuff. I donʼt
    >> know offhand if it uses autosquash.

    Morgan> I look briefly at their code and they use a perl wrapper around the
    Morgan> interactive rebase.  I suppose that's another way of doing it.  I don't
    Morgan> think it's any better or worse then my approach though.

OK

    Morgan> 'git commit --amend' is actually already built into the Emacs vc system
    Morgan> and works great.  I don't think you can use it without a diff though.
    >> 
    >> Fixing that would fit 99.99% of the cases where I want to reword a
    >> commit message, and I suspect Iʼm not alone.

    Morgan> Strange.  I'm usually working on at least a couple commits at a time.
    Morgan> For example, if I'm working on a change and I notice a typo in a
    Morgan> docstring unrelated to my change then I'll stick that into a commit.
    Morgan> Then I'll fix up all my commit messages at the end of my session.

That kind of thing I just leave in, and if it gets in the way Iʼll
stash it, and then commit it afterwards.  But then again, for Emacs I
try not to have too many commits in flight at the same time. To each
their own.

    Morgan> Regardless, the current amend logic is great if you need to amend code
    Morgan> changes.  For the case without a diff, you could simply use the feature
    Morgan> I'm adding here.

Right

Robert
--