Subject: bug#64055: Implementation of modifying VC change comments for Git

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 10:10:07 +0800

Hello,

On Mon 21 Oct 2024 at 12:55am +01, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> Just to note, looking at https://repology.org/project/git/versions, support
> for Git 2.11 seems ubiquitous enough, even the next-to-last Trisquel release
> (based on Ubuntu 2020) has 2.25. And the very newest versions are available in
> Git for Windows.
>
> And since this is an optional feature, we might as well limit ourselves to
> certain newer Git versions.

AFAICT it's straightforward to support the older git -- basically
replace the --autostash argument to 'git rebase' with a manual stash and
unstash (not because --autostash is unsupported, but because we need the
stash to occur earlier).

If the Windows testing that Eli and I are doing reaches a conclusion
that there are other incompatibilities caused by the older Git, we may
have to abandon trying to support <<2.11.1, so thank you for looking
into the availability.

-- 
Sean Whitton