Subject: bug#64055: Implementation of modifying VC change comments for Git

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 00:55:12 +0100

On 20/10/2024 08:19, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> When I do the above, I get an error message:
>>
>>    vc-do-command: Failed (status 128): git --no-pager commit --only
>> --allow-empty -F c:/Users/EliZ/AppData/Local/Temp/git-msgWaNflu
>>
>> and the*vc* buffer says:
>>
>>    fatal: No paths with --include/--only does not make sense.
>>
>> It's possible my Git is very old, but shouldn't this command work with
>> old versions as well?
> I've looked into it and what's required is Git 2.11.1 from early 2017.
> 
> I think we can support older by stashing and unstashing.  So please try
> the attached patch, which does that.

Just to note, looking at https://repology.org/project/git/versions, 
support for Git 2.11 seems ubiquitous enough, even the next-to-last 
Trisquel release (based on Ubuntu 2020) has 2.25. And the very newest 
versions are available in Git for Windows.

And since this is an optional feature, we might as well limit ourselves 
to certain newer Git versions.