Subject: bug#64055: [WIP Patch] Enable editing commit messages - vc-git-modify-change-comment

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 13:29:59 +0800

Hello,

On Sun 20 Oct 2024 at 07:58am +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> It is this difference between Git and the rest that I don't yet see,
> and you didn't explain it, just stated its existence.  Why is the
> method necessary for Git, but not for other VCSes? they all produce
> similar displays of log messages, complete with Author, Date, etc.,
> and so the difficulties of extracting just the change log message
> should affect all of them, no?

Ah, right.

The difference is that with Git you can use variables like
vc-git-log-switches and vc-git-shortlog-switches to radically change the
log output.  We can't realistically deal with all the possibilities from
Lisp.

Whereas, so far as I understand, such customisation of the output is not
available with the older VCS.

-- 
Sean Whitton