Subject: bug#6405: closed (Re: bug#6405: cp from -MM to -M)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:19:01 +0000

Your bug report

#6405: cp from -MM to -M

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6405: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6405
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6405: cp from -MM to -M
From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
To: Peng Yu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:18:39 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Peng,

If you would be so kind could you in the future address these types of
messages to [email-masked] instead of bug-coreutils?  The
bug-coreutils address has been changed from "all-discussion" to
"bug-discussion" and along with that change every message here now
opens a bug ticket in the bug tracking system so that we don't lose
track of reported bugs.  The [email-masked] address was created for
general discussion that isn't attached to the bug tracking system.
Thanks!

Peng Yu wrote:
> I'm trying to cp -MM to -M. But so far I don't have a way to do it.
> Would you please let me know what is the correct way to cp from -MM to
> -M?
> 
> $ cp -r -- -MM/ -- -M
> cp: target `-M' is not a directory

The first "--" stops further option recognition and processing.  So it
is only needed once.  The second one after the first one has turned
off option processing is therefore recognized as a filename.  Since
you have three files listed (the extra one being "--") then the target
is required to be a directory.

Instead just use one "--".  You wanted to say:

  $ cp -r -- -MM -M

Or traditional usage would use "./" to avoid the first character of
the string from starting with a dash.

  $ cp -r ./-MM ./-M

Since the strings do not start with a dash then they are not
recognized as command option arguments.

Bob

Subject: cp from -MM to -M
From: Peng Yu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:38:13 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm trying to cp -MM to -M. But so far I don't have a way to do it.
Would you please let me know what is the correct way to cp from -MM to
-M?

$ cp -r -- -MM/ -- -M
cp: target `-M' is not a directory
$ ll -go
total 0
drwx------ 2 64 2010-06-11 14:35 -MM

-- 
Regards,
Peng