Subject: bug#64046: 30.0.50; Quoting in customize choice tags

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:59:58 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Do you have an example of where it's not?  I can't think of one, so
> > you'll have to help me here.
>
> Don't need one.  The TITLE can be _any_ text.
> Who knows how ` and ' might be used?  You don't,
> any more than I do.  Or if you do, please let us
> know your assumptions about this: what gives you
> the idea that they should always be translated
> to curly quotes?

I was convinced by Stephen Berman's arguments upthread.  He spoke
about the specifics of this function, how it might typically be used,
and used examples to show why using curly quotes is a good idea here.

The reality is that we have decided to use curly quotes in Emacs, in
places where it is typographically correct.  That decision was made
before I was very active in the project, BTW.  So either we reverse
that decision, or we try to be consistent about it.  My position is
that the latter is preferable.