Subject: bug#64046: 30.0.50; Quoting in customize choice tags

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 00:51:46 +0200

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:33:21 -0300 Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:29:47 -0300 Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
>  wrote:
>>
>>> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:33:09 +0200 Ola x Nilsson <[email-masked]>
>>>  wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I agree that quote substition should be done on the car of simple item
>>>>> definitions.  I have no opinion on susbstitute-command-keys vs
>>>>> substitute-quotes.  But I came to think about the TITLE argument,
>>>>> shouldn't quote substition be performed on it as well?
>>>>
>>>> I think you're right about that as well, since the title is simply a
>>>> display feature.  AFAIK it wouldn't make a noticeable difference for
>>>> existing uses of widget-choose in the Customize UI (in the Value menu
>>>> the title is simply "Choice" and in the State menu it's "Operation on
>>>> <option name>"), but it might be relevant for third party uses or future
>>>> uses in Emacs, as well as for ad-hoc uses of simple item definitions.
>>>> So applying substition to all uses of TITLE seems appropriate.  The
>>>> below patch does this, and also corrects my previous patch by excluding
>>>> substition from the cdr of simple item definitions.
>>>
>>> What would be a real-life scenario where we need to use
>>> substitute-command-keys on TITLE? I can't think of any.
>>
>> I can't think of a really convincing example where it's needed, but just
>> as a possibility for stylistic variation, e.g. for simple item
>> definitions one could have a more explicit prompt like this:
>>
>> (widget-choose "Type `0' or `1'" '(("Use `a'" . "Use `1'") ("Use `b'"
>> . "Use `2'")))
>>
>> which would appear as "Type ‘0’ or ‘1’" with curve-style quotes.  For
>> the Customize UI, although the title is currently hard-coded as
>> "Choice", one could define a widget with a title like "User's choice",
>> which would appear as "User’s choice" with the curve-style quote.
>> Unless some undesirable consequence of applying substitute-command-keys
>> to TITLE is found, I don't see any harm in allowing such uses.
>
> I vote for don't adding code until it's really needed, and since there
> isn't a real feature request for that, I'd leave it out. 

Well, I took Ola Nilsson's post which drew attention to the possibility
of applying quote substition to TITLE (quoted above), as an implicit
feature request, and found it plausible.  But...

>                                                           Looks like we
> disagree on this, and it's not really my call, so let's leave it for a
> maintainer to decide whether to add that line of code or not.

... I don't have any problem leaving TITLE alone for now.  And I do
agree with you that an Emacs maintainer should make the decision (also
about whether to retain substitute-command-keys or instead use
substitute-quotes).

Steve Berman