Subject: Re: bug#64024: 29.0.91; `emoji-insert` shows me confusing empty lists

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:30:41 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 15 Jun 2023 08:12:45 +0000, Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> said:

    >>>>> Perhaps the emoji-* commands (C-x 8 e [eilrs]) should simply
    >>>>> error out when (list-fonts (font-spec :script 'emoji)) is nil?
    >>>>

That would stop you using them in tty frames, where they work fine.

    >>>> FWIW, I do like being able to insert some emojis even if I don't
    >>>> have access to all of them (and actually I'd even be happy to
    >>>> insert them without being able to see them, assuming I can see
    >>>> their name instead :-)
    >>> 
    >>> Yes, but you can still do that with C-x 8 RET, right?  The C-x 8 e
    >>> commands use transient menus, and (as you described in the bug
    >>> report) don't quite work when a suitable emoji font is not
    >>> available.
    >>> 
    >>> In theory, another option would be to display, in these transient
    >>> menus, emoji names instead of emoji characters when no emoji font
    >>> is available, but there is not enough room for list of names such
    >>> as "SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES AND HAND COVERING MOUTH" (which
    >>> fit better in *Completions*).
    >>

"C-x 8 e s" already does that, we could extend it to "C-x 8 e e". Once
youʼre down to half a dozen emoji it should fit fine.

Robert
--