Subject: Re: bug#64016: 29.0.91; Fix some Texinfo markup in manuals

From: Basil Contovounesios <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:33:25 +0100

Eli Zaretskii [2023-06-12 10:46 -0400] wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:09:41 +0100
>> From:  "Basil L. Contovounesios" via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> --- a/doc/lispref/modes.texi
>> +++ b/doc/lispref/modes.texi
>> @@ -2921,13 +2921,13 @@ Imenu
>>  return non-@code{nil} if the node is a valid node for @var{category},
>>  or @code{nil} if not.
>>  
>> -@var{category} could also be @code{nil}.  In which case the entries
>> +@var{category} could also be @code{nil}.  In this case the entries
>
> Here' I'd just convert the period int a comma:
>
>   @var{category} could also be @code{nil}, in which case the entries
>
> Because the change you sggest doesn't make this a better English,
> AFAIU.

Done.

>> --- a/doc/misc/ede.texi
>> +++ b/doc/misc/ede.texi
>> @@ -1900,7 +1900,7 @@ ede-cpp-root-project
>>  @end deffn
>>  
>>  @deffn Method ede-cpp-root-header-file-p :AFTER proj name
>> -Non @code{nil} if in @var{PROJ} the filename @var{NAME} is a header.
>> +Non-@code{nil} if in @var{PROJ} the filename @var{NAME} is a header.
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^              ^^^^^^^^^^
> Argument of @var should always be in lower case.

Fixed some nearby ones as well, but I'm leaving the hundreds of
remaining ones in this manual for another audit.

>>  @defvar eudc-ignore-options-file
>> -If non-nil, then EUDC ignores @code{eudc-options-file} and warns or
>> -issues an error when an attempt is made to use it.  Most users should
>> -set this, and keep their EUDC configuration in the main Emacs
>> -initialization file instead.  The separate eudc-options file has
>> -created confusion for users in the past.
>> +If non-@code{nil}, then EUDC ignores @code{eudc-options-file} and
>                       ^^^^
> That "then" is redundant, and should be dropped.

Done.

>> @@ -878,11 +878,12 @@ Proc customization variables
>>  @item flymake-proc-diagnostic-type-pred
>>  A function to classify a diagnostic text as particular type of error.
>>  Should be a function taking an error text and returning a diagnostic
>> -symbol (@pxref{Flymake error types}).  If non-@code{nil} is returned but
>> -there is no such symbol in that table, a warning is assumed.  If nil
>> -is returned, an error is assumed.  Can also be a regular expression
>> -that should match only warnings.  This variable replaces the old
>> -@code{flymake-warning-re} and @code{flymake-warning-predicate}.
>> +symbol (@pxref{Flymake error types}).  If non-@code{nil} is returned
>> +but there is no such symbol in that table, a warning is assumed.  If
>> +@code{nil} is returned, an error is assumed.
>
> How about fixing the abuse of passive voice here, while you are at it?

How's this?

>From 0e9307eb2b8a7ee527427164b9d07f8232d5c34f Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 14:42:31 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix some Texinfo markup in manuals

* doc/emacs/macos.texi (Mac / GNUstep Customization):
* doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi (condition-case):
* doc/lispref/control.texi (pcase Macro):
* doc/lispref/debugging.texi (Internals of Debugger):
* doc/lispref/internals.texi (Building Emacs):
* doc/lispref/modes.texi (Imenu):
(Parser-based Font Lock, Parser-based Indentation):
* doc/lispref/parsing.texi (Retrieving Nodes, Tree-sitter C API):
* doc/lispref/processes.texi (Network, Bindat Types):
* doc/lispref/searching.texi (Rx Functions):
* doc/lispref/text.texi (Replacing):
* doc/lispref/windows.texi (Textual Scrolling):
* doc/misc/calc.texi (Killing From Stack, Customizing Calc):
* doc/misc/cc-mode.texi (Misc Font Locking, List Line-Up):
* doc/misc/ede.texi (ede-cpp-root-project)
(ede-proj-target-makefile, ede-sourcecode):
* doc/misc/ert.texi (Running Tests in Batch Mode):
* doc/misc/eudc.texi (Emacs-only Configuration, The Server Hotlist):
* doc/misc/eww.texi (Advanced):
* doc/misc/flymake.texi (Starting Flymake)
(Proc customization variables):
* doc/misc/tramp.texi (File name completion):
* doc/misc/gnus.texi (Summary Buffer Lines, Gnus Registry Setup)
(Fancy splitting to parent, Customizing the IMAP Connection)
(Mail Source Specifiers, Agent as Cache): Consistently mark up nil
and t as @code.  Also fix the markup and wording of some surrounding
text (bug#64016).

* doc/lispref/display.texi (SVG Images, Icons):
* doc/lispref/modes.texi (Customizing Keywords): Prefer ASCII
apostrophe over Unicode right single quotation mark.
---
 doc/emacs/macos.texi                | 12 +++----
 doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi |  7 ++--
 doc/lispref/control.texi            |  2 +-
 doc/lispref/debugging.texi          |  2 +-
 doc/lispref/display.texi            | 12 +++----
 doc/lispref/internals.texi          |  2 +-
 doc/lispref/modes.texi              | 20 +++++------
 doc/lispref/parsing.texi            |  8 ++---
 doc/lispref/processes.texi          |  4 +--
 doc/lispref/searching.texi          |  2 +-
 doc/lispref/text.texi               |  4 +--
 doc/lispref/windows.texi            |  2 +-
 doc/misc/calc.texi                  | 12 +++----
 doc/misc/cc-mode.texi               | 18 +++++-----
 doc/misc/ede.texi                   | 18 +++++-----
 doc/misc/ert.texi                   | 14 ++++----
 doc/misc/eudc.texi                  | 16 ++++-----
 doc/misc/eww.texi                   |  4 +--
 doc/misc/flymake.texi               | 23 +++++++-----
 doc/misc/gnus.texi                  | 56 +++++++++++++++--------------
 doc/misc/tramp.texi                 |  2 +-
 21 files changed, 123 insertions(+), 117 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/emacs/macos.texi b/doc/emacs/macos.texi
index 9f2c4721cab..18811291a9e 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/macos.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/macos.texi
@@ -177,10 +177,10 @@ Mac / GNUstep Customization
 @vindex ns-use-mwheel-acceleration
 @item ns-use-mwheel-acceleration
 This variable controls whether Emacs ignores the system mousewheel
-acceleration.  When nil each `click' of the mousewheel will correspond
-exactly with one mousewheel event.  When non-@code{nil}, the default, each
-`click' may correspond with more than one mousewheel event, depending
-on the user's input.
+acceleration.  When @code{nil} each `click' of the mousewheel will
+correspond exactly with one mousewheel event.  When non-@code{nil},
+the default, each `click' may correspond with more than one mousewheel
+event, depending on the user's input.
 
 @vindex ns-use-mwheel-momentum
 @item ns-use-mwheel-momentum
@@ -194,8 +194,8 @@ Mac / GNUstep Customization
 This variable controls the sensitivity of scrolling with the trackpad.
 Apple trackpads scroll by pixels, not lines, so Emacs converts the
 system's pixel values into lines.  When set to a number, this variable
-sets the number of pixels Emacs will consider as one line.  When nil
-or a non-number the default line height is used.
+sets the number of pixels Emacs will consider as one line.  When
+@code{nil} or a non-number the default line height is used.
 
 Setting a lower number makes the trackpad more sensitive, and a higher
 number makes the trackpad less sensitive.
diff --git a/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi b/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
index 6447ff74bc9..37ef6133fb4 100644
--- a/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
+++ b/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@@ -8115,10 +8115,9 @@ condition-case
 handler is run.
 
 Lastly, the first argument to the @code{condition-case} expression,
-the @var{var} argument, is sometimes bound to a variable that
-contains information about the error.  However, if that argument is
-nil, as is the case in @code{kill-region}, that information is
-discarded.
+the @var{var} argument, is sometimes bound to a variable that contains
+information about the error.  However, if that argument is @code{nil},
+as is the case in @code{kill-region}, that information is discarded.
 
 @need 1200
 In brief, in the @code{kill-region} function, the code
diff --git a/doc/lispref/control.texi b/doc/lispref/control.texi
index e621a28acda..3aee9dd80e4 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/control.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/control.texi
@@ -694,7 +694,7 @@ pcase Macro
 @item (let @var{ref} @var{rx-expr}@dots{})
 Bind the symbol @var{ref} to a submatch that matches
 @var{rx-expr}@enddots{}.  @var{ref} is bound in @var{body-forms} to
-the string of the submatch or nil, but can also be used in
+the string of the submatch or @code{nil}, but can also be used in
 @code{backref}.
 
 @item (backref @var{ref})
diff --git a/doc/lispref/debugging.texi b/doc/lispref/debugging.texi
index d2e4f687f64..ea11d2d8d9c 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/debugging.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/debugging.texi
@@ -740,7 +740,7 @@ Internals of Debugger
 @cindex call stack
 This function prints a trace of Lisp function calls currently active.
 The trace is identical to the one that @code{debug} would show in the
-@file{*Backtrace*} buffer.  The return value is always nil.
+@file{*Backtrace*} buffer.  The return value is always @code{nil}.
 
 In the following example, a Lisp expression calls @code{backtrace}
 explicitly.  This prints the backtrace to the stream
diff --git a/doc/lispref/display.texi b/doc/lispref/display.texi
index f1b4b001889..7655ca8839d 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/display.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/display.texi
@@ -6530,7 +6530,7 @@ SVG Images
 @deffn Command horizontal-lineto x-coordinates
 Draw a horizontal line from the current point to the first element in
 @var{x-coordinates}.  Specifying multiple coordinates is possible,
-although usually this doesn’t make sense.
+although this usually doesn't make sense.
 
 @lisp
 (svg-path svg '((moveto ((100 . 200)))
@@ -6554,7 +6554,7 @@ SVG Images
 curve from the current point.  If there are multiple coordinate sets,
 draw a polybezier.  Each coordinate set is a list of the form
 @code{(@var{x1} @var{y1} @var{x2} @var{y2} @var{x} @var{y})}, where
-@w{(@var{x}, @var{y})} is the curve’s end point.  @w{(@var{x1},
+@w{(@var{x}, @var{y})} is the curve's end point.  @w{(@var{x1},
 @var{y1})} and @w{(@var{x2}, @var{y2})} are control points at the
 beginning and at the end, respectively.
 
@@ -6571,7 +6571,7 @@ SVG Images
 curve from the current point.  If there are multiple coordinate sets,
 draw a polybezier.  Each coordinate set is a list of the form
 @code{(@var{x2} @var{y2} @var{x} @var{y})}, where @w{(@var{x},
-@var{y})} is the curve’s end point and @w{(@var{x2}, @var{y2})} is the
+@var{y})} is the curve's end point and @w{(@var{x2}, @var{y2})} is the
 corresponding control point.  The first control point is the
 reflection of the second control point of the previous command
 relative to the current point, if that command was @command{curveto}
@@ -6591,7 +6591,7 @@ SVG Images
 Bézier curve from the current point.  If there are multiple coordinate
 sets, draw a polybezier.  Each coordinate set is a list of the form
 @code{(@var{x1} @var{y1} @var{x} @var{y})}, where @w{(@var{x},
-@var{y})} is the curve’s end point and @w{(@var{x1}, @var{y1})} is the
+@var{y})} is the curve's end point and @w{(@var{x1}, @var{y1})} is the
 control point.
 
 @lisp
@@ -6608,7 +6608,7 @@ SVG Images
 Using the first element in @var{coordinate-sets}, draw a quadratic
 Bézier curve from the current point.  If there are multiple coordinate
 sets, draw a polybezier.  Each coordinate set is a list of the form
-@code{(@var{x} @var{y})}, where @w{(@var{x}, @var{y})} is the curve’s
+@code{(@var{x} @var{y})}, where @w{(@var{x}, @var{y})} is the curve's
 end point.  The control point is the reflection of the control point
 of the previous command relative to the current point, if that command
 was @command{quadratic-bezier-curveto} or
@@ -7269,7 +7269,7 @@ Icons
 @item :width
 This is only valid for @code{image} icons, and can be either a number
 (which specifies the width in pixels), or the symbol @code{font},
-which will use the width in pixels of the current buffer’s default
+which will use the width in pixels of the current buffer's default
 face font.
 @end table
 
diff --git a/doc/lispref/internals.texi b/doc/lispref/internals.texi
index e896c69bc38..2dc1f1c6116 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/internals.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/internals.texi
@@ -248,7 +248,7 @@ Building Emacs
 where @var{file} is the name of the dump file, and @var{time} is the
 time in seconds it took to restore the state from the dump file.
 If the current session was not restored from a dump file, the
-value is nil.
+value is @code{nil}.
 @end defun
 
 @node Pure Storage
diff --git a/doc/lispref/modes.texi b/doc/lispref/modes.texi
index cb491d52c50..bd09386de2b 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/modes.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/modes.texi
@@ -2921,13 +2921,13 @@ Imenu
 return non-@code{nil} if the node is a valid node for @var{category},
 or @code{nil} if not.
 
-@var{category} could also be @code{nil}.  In which case the entries
+@var{category} could also be @code{nil}, in which case the entries
 matched by @var{regexp} and @var{pred} are not grouped under
 @var{category}.
 
-@var{name-fn} should be either @var{nil} or a function that takes a
+@var{name-fn} should be either @code{nil} or a function that takes a
 defun node and returns the name of that defun, e.g., the function name
-for a function definition.  If @var{name-fn} is @var{nil},
+for a function definition.  If @var{name-fn} is @code{nil},
 @code{treesit-defun-name} (@pxref{Tree-sitter Major Modes}) is used
 instead.
 
@@ -3446,7 +3446,7 @@ Customizing Keywords
 non-@code{nil}.
 
 @item @code{(not @var{condition})}
-This matches if @var{condition} doesn’t.
+This matches if @var{condition} doesn't.
 
 @item @code{(and @var{condition} @dots{})}
 This matches if each of the @var{condition}s matches.
@@ -4145,9 +4145,9 @@ Parser-based Font Lock
 
 @multitable @columnfractions .15 .15 .6
 @headitem Keyword @tab Value @tab Description
-@item @code{:override} @tab nil
+@item @code{:override} @tab @code{nil}
 @tab If the region already has a face, discard the new face
-@item @tab t @tab Always apply the new face
+@item @tab @code{t} @tab Always apply the new face
 @item @tab @code{append} @tab Append the new face to existing ones
 @item @tab @code{prepend} @tab Prepend the new face to existing ones
 @item @tab @code{keep} @tab Fill-in regions without an existing face
@@ -5153,10 +5153,10 @@ Parser-based Indentation
 @var{parent}, and @var{bol}.  It tries to go to the beginning of the
 previous non-empty line, and matches @code{adaptive-fill-regexp}.  If
 there is a match, this function returns the end of the match,
-otherwise it returns nil.  However, if the current line begins with a
-prefix (e.g., ``-''), return the beginning of the prefix of the
-previous line instead, so that the two prefixes aligns.  This anchor
-is useful for a @code{indent-relative}-like indent behavior for block
+otherwise it returns @code{nil}.  However, if the current line begins
+with a prefix (e.g., ``-''), return the beginning of the prefix of the
+previous line instead, so that the two prefixes align.  This anchor is
+useful for an @code{indent-relative}-like indent behavior for block
 comments.
 
 @end ftable
diff --git a/doc/lispref/parsing.texi b/doc/lispref/parsing.texi
index b70f953f8ed..7e77af0a5cf 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/parsing.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/parsing.texi
@@ -656,7 +656,7 @@ Retrieving Nodes
 This function returns the immediate parent of @var{node}.
 
 If @var{node} is more than 1000 levels deep in a parse tree, the
-return value is undefined.  Currently it returns @var{nil}, but that
+return value is undefined.  Currently it returns @code{nil}, but that
 could change in the future.
 @end defun
 
@@ -842,7 +842,7 @@ Retrieving Nodes
 
 Each node in the returned tree looks like
 @w{@code{(@var{tree-sitter-node} . (@var{child} @dots{}))}}.  The
-@var{tree-sitter-node} of the root of this tree will be nil if
+@var{tree-sitter-node} of the root of this tree will be @code{nil} if
 @var{root} doesn't match @var{predicate}.  If no node matches
 @var{predicate}, the function returns @code{nil}.
 @end defun
@@ -866,7 +866,7 @@ Retrieving Nodes
 parent satisfies @var{pred}, this function returns @code{nil}.
 
 Normally this function only looks at the parents of @var{node} but not
-@var{node} itself. But if @var{include-node} is non-@var{nil}, this
+@var{node} itself.  But if @var{include-node} is non-@code{nil}, this
 function returns @var{node} if @var{node} satisfies @var{pred}.
 @end defun
 
@@ -1880,7 +1880,7 @@ Tree-sitter C API
 Instead of using byte positions, the Emacs Lisp API uses character
 positions.
 @item
-Null nodes are converted to nil.
+Null nodes are converted to @code{nil}.
 @end itemize
 
 Below is the correspondence between all C API functions and their
diff --git a/doc/lispref/processes.texi b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
index c901215d35d..43c794104b8 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/processes.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/processes.texi
@@ -2662,7 +2662,7 @@ Network
 Library}).  Only used for @acronym{TLS} or @acronym{STARTTLS}.  To
 enable automatic queries of @code{auth-source} when
 @code{:client-certificate} is not specified customize
-@code{network-stream-use-client-certificates} to t.
+@code{network-stream-use-client-certificates} to @code{t}.
 
 @item :return-list @var{cons-or-nil}
 The return value of this function.  If omitted or @code{nil}, return a
@@ -3575,7 +3575,7 @@ Bindat Types
 @item fill @var{len}
 @var{len} bytes used as a mere filler.  In packing, these bytes are
 left unchanged, which normally means they remain zero.
-When unpacking, this just returns nil.
+When unpacking, this just returns @code{nil}.
 
 @item align @var{len}
 Same as @code{fill} except the number of bytes is that needed to skip
diff --git a/doc/lispref/searching.texi b/doc/lispref/searching.texi
index 06b3556c855..b8d9094b28d 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/searching.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/searching.texi
@@ -1568,7 +1568,7 @@ Rx Functions
 
 @defun rx-to-string rx-expr &optional no-group
 Translate @var{rx-expr} to a string regexp which is returned.
-If @var{no-group} is absent or nil, bracket the result in a
+If @var{no-group} is absent or @code{nil}, bracket the result in a
 non-capturing group, @samp{\(?:@dots{}\)}, if necessary to ensure that
 a postfix operator appended to it will apply to the whole expression.
 Example:
diff --git a/doc/lispref/text.texi b/doc/lispref/text.texi
index f15b3c33e0c..0f43f3d464a 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/text.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/text.texi
@@ -4764,9 +4764,9 @@ Replacing
 the actual costs exceed this limit, heuristics are used to provide a
 faster but suboptimal solution.  The default value is 1000000.
 
-@code{replace-buffer-contents} returns t if a non-destructive
+@code{replace-buffer-contents} returns @code{t} if a non-destructive
 replacement could be performed.  Otherwise, i.e., if @var{max-secs}
-was exceeded, it returns nil.
+was exceeded, it returns @code{nil}.
 @end deffn
 
 @defun replace-region-contents beg end replace-fn &optional max-secs max-costs
diff --git a/doc/lispref/windows.texi b/doc/lispref/windows.texi
index 0196ed0e813..a49e63e49de 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/windows.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/windows.texi
@@ -5569,7 +5569,7 @@ Textual Scrolling
 value of @code{recenter-redisplay}.  Thus, omitting the second
 argument can be used to countermand the effect of
 @code{recenter-redisplay} being non-@code{nil}.  Interactive calls
-pass non-‘nil’ for @var{redisplay}.
+pass non-@code{nil} for @var{redisplay}.
 
 When @code{recenter} is called interactively, @var{count} is the raw
 prefix argument.  Thus, typing @kbd{C-u} as the prefix sets the
diff --git a/doc/misc/calc.texi b/doc/misc/calc.texi
index 3b525996d6f..3ba1a9d4d15 100644
--- a/doc/misc/calc.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/calc.texi
@@ -29875,10 +29875,10 @@ Killing From Stack
 @kbd{C-k} with a prefix argument of 1 copies the number with its trailing
 newline.
 
-You can customize @code{calc-kill-line-numbering} to nil to exclude
-line numbering from kills and copies made by @code{calc-kill} and
-@code{calc-copy-as-kill}.  This option does not affect calc kill and
-copy commands which operate on the region, as that would not make
+You can customize @code{calc-kill-line-numbering} to @code{nil} to
+exclude line numbering from kills and copies made by @code{calc-kill}
+and @code{calc-copy-as-kill}.  This option does not affect calc kill
+and copy commands which operate on the region, as that would not make
 sense.
 
 @node Yanking Into Stack
@@ -35590,11 +35590,11 @@ Customizing Calc
 See @ref{Displaying Selections}.@*
 The variable @code{calc-highlight-selections-with-faces}
 determines how selected sub-formulas are distinguished.
-If @code{calc-highlight-selections-with-faces} is nil, then
+If @code{calc-highlight-selections-with-faces} is @code{nil}, then
 a selected sub-formula is distinguished either by changing every
 character not part of the sub-formula with a dot or by changing every
 character in the sub-formula with a @samp{#} sign.
-If @code{calc-highlight-selections-with-faces} is t,
+If @code{calc-highlight-selections-with-faces} is @code{t},
 then a selected sub-formula is distinguished either by displaying the
 non-selected portion of the formula with @code{calc-nonselected-face}
 or by displaying the selected sub-formula with
diff --git a/doc/misc/cc-mode.texi b/doc/misc/cc-mode.texi
index 3a808619868..888a51e0e15 100644
--- a/doc/misc/cc-mode.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/cc-mode.texi
@@ -2191,10 +2191,10 @@ Misc Font Locking
 
 @defvar c-asymmetry-fontification-flag
 @vindex asymmetry-fontification-flag @r{(c-)}
-When @code{c-asymmetry-fontification-flag} is non-@code{nil} (which it is by
-default), code like the above, with white space either before or after
-the operator, but not both, is fontified as a declaration.  When the
-variable is nil, such a construct gets the default face.
+When @code{c-asymmetry-fontification-flag} is non-@code{nil} (which it
+is by default), code like the above, with white space either before or
+after the operator, but not both, is fontified as a declaration.  When
+the variable is @code{nil}, such a construct gets the default face.
 @end defvar
 
 When the construct is an expression there will often be white space
@@ -5998,7 +5998,7 @@ List Line-Up
 List Symbols}).
 
 This function is intended for use in a list.  If the construct being
-analyzed isn't like the preceding, the function returns nil.
+analyzed isn't like the preceding, the function returns @code{nil}.
 Otherwise it returns the function
 @code{c-lineup-arglist-intro-after-paren}, which the caller then uses
 to perform indentation.
@@ -6042,8 +6042,8 @@ List Line-Up
 (@pxref{Brace List Symbols}).
 
 This function is intended for use in a list.  If the above structure
-isn't present, the function returns nil, allowing a different offset
-specification to indent the line.
+isn't present, the function returns @code{nil}, allowing a different
+offset specification to indent the line.
 
 @workswith{} @code{brace-list-intro}.
 @end defun
@@ -6085,8 +6085,8 @@ List Line-Up
 the caller then uses to perform the indentation.
 
 This function is intended for use in a list.  If the above structure
-isn't present, the function returns nil, allowing a different offset
-specification to indent the line.
+isn't present, the function returns @code{nil}, allowing a different
+offset specification to indent the line.
 
 @workswith{} @code{brace-list-intro}.
 @end defun
diff --git a/doc/misc/ede.texi b/doc/misc/ede.texi
index e4ec72af5cd..d49d2296aa7 100644
--- a/doc/misc/ede.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/ede.texi
@@ -1896,19 +1896,19 @@ ede-cpp-root-project
 @end deffn
 
 @deffn Method ede-preprocessor-map :AFTER this
-Get the pre-processor map for project @var{THIS}.
+Get the pre-processor map for project @var{this}.
 @end deffn
 
 @deffn Method ede-cpp-root-header-file-p :AFTER proj name
-Non @code{nil} if in @var{PROJ} the filename @var{NAME} is a header.
+Non-@code{nil} if in @var{proj} the filename @var{name} is a header.
 @end deffn
 
 @deffn Method ede-system-include-path :AFTER this
-Get the system include path used by project @var{THIS}.
+Get the system include path used by project @var{this}.
 @end deffn
 
 @deffn Method ede-expand-filename-impl :AFTER proj name
-Within this project @var{PROJ}, find the file @var{NAME}.
+Within this project @var{proj}, find the file @var{name}.
 This knows details about or source tree.
 @end deffn
 
@@ -2796,7 +2796,7 @@ ede-proj-target-makefile
 Type: @code{boolean} @*
 Default Value: @code{t}
 
-Non @code{nil} means the rule created is part of the all target.
+Non-@code{nil} means the rule created is part of the all target.
 Setting this to @code{nil} creates the rule to build this item, but does not
 include it in the @code{all:} rule.
 
@@ -3888,10 +3888,10 @@ ede-sourcecode
 Type: @code{boolean} @*
 Default Value: @code{nil}
 
-Non @code{nil} if this sourcecode type uses subdirectores.
-If sourcecode always lives near the target creating it, this should be nil.
-If sourcecode can, or typically lives in a subdirectory of the owning
-target, set this to t.
+Non-@code{nil} if this sourcecode type uses subdirectores.  If
+sourcecode always lives near the target creating it, this should be
+@code{nil}.  If sourcecode can, or typically lives in a subdirectory
+of the owning target, set this to @code{t}.
 
 @item :garbagepattern
 Type: @code{list} @*
diff --git a/doc/misc/ert.texi b/doc/misc/ert.texi
index fd96fcf8b8c..a6b62a058f2 100644
--- a/doc/misc/ert.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/ert.texi
@@ -409,13 +409,13 @@ Running Tests in Batch Mode
 @end example
 
 @vindex ert-batch-backtrace-line-length
-Even modest settings for @code{print-level} and @code{print-length} can
-produce extremely long lines in backtraces, however, with attendant
-pauses in execution progress.  Set
-@code{ert-batch-backtrace-line-length} to t to use the value of
-@code{backtrace-line-length}, @code{nil} to stop any limitations on backtrace
-line lengths (that is, to get full backtraces), or a positive integer to
-limit backtrace line length to that number.
+Even modest settings for @code{print-level} and @code{print-length}
+can produce extremely long lines in backtraces, however, with
+attendant pauses in execution progress.  Set
+@code{ert-batch-backtrace-line-length} to @code{t} to use the value of
+@code{backtrace-line-length}, @code{nil} to stop any limitations on
+backtrace line lengths (that is, to get full backtraces), or a
+positive integer to limit backtrace line length to that number.
 
 @vindex ert-quiet
 By default, ERT in batch mode is quite verbose, printing a line with
diff --git a/doc/misc/eudc.texi b/doc/misc/eudc.texi
index 743d7da946b..d82dec971cd 100644
--- a/doc/misc/eudc.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/eudc.texi
@@ -374,7 +374,7 @@ Emacs-only Configuration
 Specifying the function @code{ldap-password-read} for @code{passwd}
 will cause Emacs to prompt interactively for the password.  The
 password will then be validated and cached, unless
-@code{password-cache} is nil.  You can customize
+@code{password-cache} is @code{nil}.  You can customize
 @code{password-cache-expiry} to control the duration for which the
 password is cached.  If you want to clear the cache, call
 @code{password-reset}.
@@ -1023,9 +1023,9 @@ The Server Hotlist
 eudc-bookmark-current-server}.  The list is contained in the variable
 @code{eudc-server-hotlist} which is stored in and retrieved from the
 file designated by @code{eudc-options-file}, or normal Emacs
-initialization if @code{eudc-ignore-options-file} is non-nil.  EUDC
-also provides a facility to edit the hotlist interactively (@pxref{The
-Hotlist Edit Buffer}).
+initialization if @code{eudc-ignore-options-file} is non-@code{nil}.
+EUDC also provides a facility to edit the hotlist interactively
+(@pxref{The Hotlist Edit Buffer}).
 
 The hotlist is also used to make queries on multiple servers
 successively (@pxref{Multi-server Queries}).  The order in which the
@@ -1041,18 +1041,18 @@ The Server Hotlist
 @end deffn
 
 @defvar eudc-ignore-options-file
-If non-nil, then EUDC ignores @code{eudc-options-file} and warns or
+If non-@code{nil}, EUDC ignores @code{eudc-options-file} and warns or
 issues an error when an attempt is made to use it.  Most users should
 set this, and keep their EUDC configuration in the main Emacs
-initialization file instead.  The separate eudc-options file has
-created confusion for users in the past.
+initialization file instead.  The separate @file{eudc-options} file
+has created confusion for users in the past.
 @end defvar
 
 @defvar eudc-options-file
 The name of a file where EUDC stores its internal variables (the
 hotlist and the current server).  EUDC will try to load that file upon
 initialization so, if you choose a file name different from the
-defaults @file{~/.emacs.d/eudc-options}, be sure to set this variable
+default @file{~/.emacs.d/eudc-options}, be sure to set this variable
 to the appropriate value @emph{before} EUDC is itself loaded.
 @end defvar
 
diff --git a/doc/misc/eww.texi b/doc/misc/eww.texi
index bc556ed88e2..1a5688b0358 100644
--- a/doc/misc/eww.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/eww.texi
@@ -367,8 +367,8 @@ Advanced
 The latter, however, tend to be overly large to preserve in the
 desktop file, so they get omitted, thus rendering the respective
 entries entirely equivalent.  By default, such duplicate entries are
-not saved.  Setting @code{eww-desktop-remove-duplicates} to nil will
-force EWW to save them anyway.
+not saved.  Setting @code{eww-desktop-remove-duplicates} to @code{nil}
+will force EWW to save them anyway.
 
 @vindex eww-restore-desktop
   Restoring EWW buffers' contents may prove to take too long to
diff --git a/doc/misc/flymake.texi b/doc/misc/flymake.texi
index 03d296a1d42..c7c46896709 100644
--- a/doc/misc/flymake.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/flymake.texi
@@ -115,11 +115,11 @@ Starting Flymake
 @itemize @bullet
 @item
 @code{flymake-mode} is started, unless
-@code{flymake-start-on-flymake-mode} is nil;
+@code{flymake-start-on-flymake-mode} is @code{nil};
 
 @item
 the buffer is saved, unless @code{flymake-start-on-save-buffer} is
-nil;
+@code{nil};
 
 @item
 some changes were made to the buffer more than @code{0.5} seconds ago
@@ -876,13 +876,18 @@ Proc customization variables
 line-idx col-idx err-text-idx)}.  @xref{Parsing the output}.
 
 @item flymake-proc-diagnostic-type-pred
-A function to classify a diagnostic text as particular type of error.
-Should be a function taking an error text and returning a diagnostic
-symbol (@pxref{Flymake error types}).  If non-@code{nil} is returned but
-there is no such symbol in that table, a warning is assumed.  If nil
-is returned, an error is assumed.  Can also be a regular expression
-that should match only warnings.  This variable replaces the old
-@code{flymake-warning-re} and @code{flymake-warning-predicate}.
+A function to classify a diagnostic text as a particular type of
+error.  The value of this variable should be a function taking an
+error text and returning a diagnostic symbol (@pxref{Flymake error
+types}).  If it returns a non-@code{nil} value but there is no such
+symbol in that table, the text is interpreted as a warning.  If the
+function returns @code{nil}, the text is assumed to be an error.
+
+The value of this variable can alternatively be a regular expression
+that should match only warnings.
+
+This variable replaces the old @code{flymake-warning-re} and
+@code{flymake-warning-predicate}.
 
 @item flymake-proc-compilation-prevents-syntax-check
 A flag indicating whether compilation and syntax check of the same
diff --git a/doc/misc/gnus.texi b/doc/misc/gnus.texi
index d77d4be1bee..e995469ee3d 100644
--- a/doc/misc/gnus.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/gnus.texi
@@ -5014,14 +5014,14 @@ Summary Buffer Lines
 @item L
 Number of lines in the article.
 @item Z
-Retrieval Score Value (RSV) of the article; nil if not in an nnselect
-group.
+Retrieval Score Value (RSV) of the article; @code{nil} if not in an
+nnselect group.
 @item G
-Originating group name of the article; nil if not in an nnselect
-group.
+Originating group name of the article; @code{nil} if not in an
+nnselect group.
 @item g
-Short form of the originating group name of the article; nil if not in
-an nnselect group.
+Short form of the originating group name of the article; @code{nil} if
+not in an nnselect group.
 @item c
 Number of characters in the article.  This specifier is not supported
 in some methods (like nnfolder).
@@ -14568,18 +14568,20 @@ Customizing the IMAP Connection
 @vindex nnimap-expunge
 @item nnimap-expunge
 When to expunge deleted messages.  If @code{never}, deleted articles
-are marked with the IMAP @code{\\Delete} flag but not automatically
-expunged. If @code{immediately}, deleted articles are immediately expunged
-(this requires the server to support the UID EXPUNGE command). If
-@code{on-exit}, deleted articles are flagged, and all flagged articles are
-expunged when the group is closed.
+are marked with the @acronym{IMAP} @code{\\Delete} flag but not
+automatically expunged.  If @code{immediately}, deleted articles are
+immediately expunged (this requires the server to support the
+@code{UID EXPUNGE} command).  If @code{on-exit}, deleted articles are
+flagged, and all flagged articles are expunged when the group is
+closed.
 
-For backwards compatibility, this variable may also be set to t
-or nil. If the server supports UID EXPUNGE, both t and nil are
-equivalent to @code{immediately}. If the server does not support UID
-EXPUNGE nil is equivalent to @code{never}, while t will immediately
-expunge ALL articles that are currently flagged as deleted
-(i.e., potentially not only the article that was just deleted).
+For backwards compatibility, this variable may also be set to @code{t}
+or @code{nil}.  If the server supports @code{UID EXPUNGE}, both
+@code{t} and @code{nil} are equivalent to @code{immediately}.  If the
+server does not support @code{UID EXPUNGE}, @code{nil} is equivalent
+to @code{never}, while @code{t} will immediately expunge @emph{all}
+articles that are currently flagged as deleted (i.e., potentially not
+only the article that was just deleted).
 
 @vindex nnimap-streaming
 @item nnimap-streaming
@@ -15296,9 +15298,9 @@ Mail Source Specifiers
 @end lisp
 
 @item imap
-Get mail from a @acronym{IMAP} server.  If you don't want to use
+Get mail from an @acronym{IMAP} server.  If you don't want to use
 @acronym{IMAP} as intended, as a network mail reading protocol (i.e.,
-with nnimap), for some reason or other, Gnus let you treat it similar
+with nnimap), for some reason or other, Gnus lets you treat it similar
 to a @acronym{POP} server and fetches articles from a given
 @acronym{IMAP} mailbox.  @xref{Using IMAP}, for more information.
 
@@ -19404,7 +19406,7 @@ Agent as Cache
 @pxref{Agent Variables}) to always download headers and articles while
 plugged.  Gnus will almost certainly be slower, but it will be kept
 synchronized with the server.  That last point probably won't make any
-sense if you are using a nntp or nnimap back end.
+sense if you are using an nntp or nnimap back end.
 
 @node Agent Expiry
 @subsection Agent Expiry
@@ -26369,7 +26371,7 @@ Gnus Registry Setup
 you see them.  This is important to making split-to-parent and
 Message-ID references work correctly, as the registry needs to know
 where all messages are, but it can slow down group opening and the
-saving of Gnus.  If this option is nil, entries must be created
+saving of Gnus.  If this option is @code{nil}, entries must be created
 manually, for instance by storing a custom flag or keyword for the
 message.
 @end defvar
@@ -26391,8 +26393,8 @@ Gnus Registry Setup
 If a function is given, it should sort least valuable entries first,
 as pruning starts from the beginning of the list.  The default value
 is @code{gnus-registry-sort-by-creation-time}, which proposes the
-oldest entries for pruning.  Set to nil to perform no sorting, which
-will speed up the pruning process.
+oldest entries for pruning.  Set to @code{nil} to perform no sorting,
+which will speed up the pruning process.
 @end defvar
 
 @defvar gnus-registry-cache-file
@@ -26465,10 +26467,10 @@ Fancy splitting to parent
 
 in your fancy split setup.
 
-If @code{gnus-registry-register-all} is non-@code{nil} (the default), the
-registry will perform splitting for all messages.  If it is nil,
-splitting will only happen for children of messages you've explicitly
-registered.
+If @code{gnus-registry-register-all} is non-@code{nil} (the default),
+the registry will perform splitting for all messages.  If it is
+@code{nil}, splitting will only happen for children of messages you've
+explicitly registered.
 
 In addition, you may want to customize the following variables.
 
diff --git a/doc/misc/tramp.texi b/doc/misc/tramp.texi
index f9617f7a5cd..6ed7e0ac032 100644
--- a/doc/misc/tramp.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/tramp.texi
@@ -3553,7 +3553,7 @@ File name completion
 there are invalid entries in the persistency file, for example if the
 host configuration changes often, or if you plug your laptop to
 different networks frequently, you can set the user option
-@code{tramp-completion-use-cache} to nil.
+@code{tramp-completion-use-cache} to @code{nil}.
 
 After remote host name completion comes completion of file names on
 the remote host.  It works the same as with local host file completion
-- 
2.34.1

Thanks,

-- 
Basil