Subject: bug#64015: guix refresh fails to find latest version for libuv

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 14:48:53 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Attempting to use 'guix refresh libuv' says:
>
> $ LANG=C guix refresh libuv
> gnu/packages/libevent.scm:117:13: 1.44.2 is already the latest version of libuv
>
> The release form is here: https://dist.libuv.org/dist/v1.45.0/; there's
> also a release tag in git: https://github.com/libuv/libuv/tree/v1.45.0.

Because the package currently gets its source from dist.libuv.org, the
‘generic-html’ updater is picked; it browses
<https://dist.libuv.org/dist/v1.44.2> and concludes that there’s no
newer release.  (Currently it doesn’t recurse so there’s no way it could
find the new release.)

We could fetch the code with ‘git-fetch’, in which case the ‘github’ or
‘generic-git’ updater would fire.

HTH,
Ludo’.