Subject: bug#64006: Installation frustration weekend

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:50:34 +0200

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Console fonts lose Cyrillic support after the first pull and upgrade.
>> Question marks appear in place of my letters instead.
> This sounds like a bug/regression; in the source code
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/base.scm>,
> it looks like it should work, because it uses GNU Unifont,

What was I thinking.  Console without kmscon cannot support a complete
font.  It’s just that the default changed from supporting Cyrillic to
supporting progress bars:

commit 01334a61c7541d8ae29c5252e2e5b3ed7a59c552
Author: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Feb 3 12:56:02 2023 +0100

    gnu: Use unifont by default in TTYs.
    
    It has even better language support than LatGrkCyr-8x16 and can show
    fancy progress bars.
    
    * gnu/services/base.scm (%default-console-font): Use unifont.

See: <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=01334a61c7541d8ae29c5252e2e5b3ed7a59c552>

IMHO this new default is sensible.  This sub-issue is not a bug.  You
should use either kmscon or change the default.

Regards,
Florian