Subject: bug#6399: Confirm vc commits when the files do not match those marked in vc-dir

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 15:10:45 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've made this mistake a few times now:
>
> 1) Mark say 5 files in vc-dir.
>
> 2) Press v to get a vc-log buffer.
>
> 3) Realize I should not have marked one of the 5 files, and unmark it
> in the vc-dir buffer.
>
> 4) Forget to kill the existing vc-log buffer, and so end up committing
> all 5 files anyway.

Somehow that has never happened to me, so I guess it's never occurred to
me to do something like that.  But I see that the problem is still
present in Emacs 28.

> I wish that at step 4 when I try to commit, Emacs would check if the
> files about to be commited match those marked in the vc-dir buffer,
> and if not ask me to confirm the commit.

Yeah, that seems like a good idea.  I can't really imagine somebody
altering the marked files in the vc-dir buffer without wanting to affect
which files get checked in on the `C-c C-c'.  But before I start poking
at this -- would adding a query like this disrupt somebody's work flow?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no