Subject: Re: bug#63956: 29.0.91; tex-mode display problem in emacs-29

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 21:34:19 -0400

> You could be right, but I couldn't find any callers of that function,
> so it was hard for me to reason about that specific case.  Stefan,
> since you introduced tex-cmd-doc-view into tex-mode.el, could you take
> a look and tell whether using display-tex-shell-buffer-action in its
> default value there makes sense?  If not, what would be a better
> default?

Hmm... when I introduced `tex-cmd-doc-view` it just used

    (pop-to-buffer (find-file-noselect file))

then when Sam Steingold introduced `display-comint-buffer-action` (in
commit 18b680cfd177) he used it there as well, but I suspect this was
a mistake because that command does not at all work like a comint thingy
(my guess is that he's an AUCTeX user and just assumed that
`tex-cmd-doc-view` is like other `tex-cmd-*` thingies).

I'm not sure it's harmful to use `display-comint-buffer-action` or
`display-tex-shell-buffer-action` there (e.g. I haven't noticed it being
a problem in my own use since Sam's patch), but it doesn't seem
necessary nor very natural (it's just not a "tex-shell" or "comint"
buffer, it's a normal file buffer).

        Stefan