Subject: bug#63956: 29.0.91; tex-mode display problem in emacs-29

From: Jeff Norden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:12:08 -0500

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 1:14 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> ...
> > Using -tex-shell-buffer-action for a docview buffer is perhaps a bit
> > odd
>
> You could be right, but I couldn't find any callers of that function,
> so it was hard for me to reason about that specific case.  Stefan,
> since you introduced tex-cmd-doc-view into tex-mode.el, could you take
> a look and tell whether using display-tex-shell-buffer-action in its
> default value there makes sense?  If not, what would be a better
> default?

Took me a bit to figure that out.  Choosing the docview option from
`tex-compile' results in pre-pending "tex-cmd-" to "doc-view" and then
calling `tex-cmd-doc-view', which simply opens the pdf file (in
docview mode) with pop-to-buffer.  The other tex-compile commands that
preview the document do so by running an external program such as
ghostview or xdvi.  That is why I was thinking that opening in a new
frame might be appropriate.

I've never used tex-compile, and I wonder if it gets much use in
general.  One of the ideas I was thinking of was adding it as a
sub-menu of the TeX menubar entry, which would make it easier to use.
Another thing, which I now realize is already listed as a 'fixme' item
in tex-mode.el, is to check that, e.g., the corresponding pdf file is
up to date (newer than the tex source) before previewing it.

-Jeff