Subject: bug#63956: 29.0.91; tex-mode display problem in emacs-29

From: Jeff Norden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:30:13 -0500

On Thu, Jun 8,  Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> From: Eli Zaretskii
> To: Sam Steingold
> Cc: 63956 <at> debbugs.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: bug#63956: 29.0.91; tex-mode display problem in emacs-29
> Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 21:34:09 +0300
> ...
> > >  Sam, any comments?
> >
> > I do not use `tex-buffer', but C-c C-f (which runs the command
> > `tex-file') does exactly what it should - creates a new window showing
> > `*tex-shell*'. Moreover, I just tried C-c C-b (which runs the command
> > `tex-buffer') and it created a new `*tex-shell*' window too (or re-used
> > an existing one) without replacing the window that shows my LaTeX.
> > When I made the change, I was trying to fix
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52467 (re-use the existing
> > `*tex-shell*' window) and I think I did.
> >
> > Jeff, could you please reproduce the issue in `emacs -Q`?
>
> I tried "M-x tex-buffer RET" in "emacs -Q", and I see what Jeff
> reports.  Are you sure you don't have any customizations that get in
> the way?  Or maybe post the exact sequence of commands you tried?

At first I thought there was a misunderstanding about the intended
behavior, but then I realized that Sam is saying that his tex-shell
window *doesn't* replace the editing window.  I can also verify that it
does replace the editing window, using "emacs -Q" with either 29.0.91
or emacs-30 built from the current git source.  Since the default
display action is replace-window, this makes sense.

Sam: can you try it again after making sure that your
display-comint-buffer-action has the default value (which should be
'(display-buffer-same-window (inhibit-same-window))'?  If I'm
understanding things correctly, the point of this new variable is to
make it easier to modify the way normal *shell* type buffers open,
while leaving the traditional same-window behavior as the default.
---
My own tex-mode use is very heavily customized (via eval-after-load),
so I think I need to look a bit at the default behavior before I make
any specific suggestions about changing tex-mode.el.  I'll try to do
that this weekend.

-Jeff