Subject: bug#63956: 29.0.91; tex-mode display problem in emacs-29

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 13:44:40 -0400

> * Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2023-06-08 12:15:49 +0300]:
>
>> From: Jeff Norden <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:52:10 -0500
>>
>> I've been trying out the 2nd emacs-29 pretest.  It seems great.
>> I haven't needed to tweak a single line of my .emacs or any of the
>> custom files it loads (about 1200 lines in all).  The new
>> 'with-restriction' feature may simplify a project that I've been
>> playing with for a while.
>>
>> However, I have found a minor issue with a change made to tex-mode.
>> The simple calls to `display-buffer' in tex-mode.el have been replaced
>> with:
>>     (display-buffer tex-shell display-comint-buffer-action)
>> The default value for display-comint-buffer-action is set from
>> display-buffer--same-window-action.
>>
>> As a result, the default behavior of `tex-buffer' or `tex-region' is
>> that the document you are editing *disappears*, and and the window it
>> was displayed in shows just the error messages (or lack thereof) from
>> running TeX.  You then need to switch back to the document's buffer to
>> continue editing.  This behavior makes no sense.  It would be
>> equivalent to running `compile' on a C file, and then only seeing the
>> output from make/gcc/etc, with the source code hidden.  The correct
>> behavior in both cases is to show the process output in a window
>> alongside the source.  Anyone who has been using tex-mode for years
>> would certainly find this new behavior disruptive, although it is
>> easily corrected.
>>
>> I'm not sure if the `display-buffer' calls in tex-mode.el need to have
>> an action argument, but if they do, it should be similar to what is
>> used in compile.el.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm not
>> particularly well-versed in the current intricacies of buffer display
>> actions (nor do I have any real desire to become so :-).
>
> Adding Sam, who made these changes in tex-mode.el.

Eli, you sent your message to the amazon.com address. Why?
The commit is tagged with my correct gnu.org address.
Please only use [email-masked] for all communications.

>  Sam, any comments?

I do not use `tex-buffer', but C-c C-f (which runs the command
`tex-file') does exactly what it should - creates a new window showing
`*tex-shell*'. Moreover, I just tried C-c C-b (which runs the command
`tex-buffer') and it created a new `*tex-shell*' window too (or re-used
an existing one) without replacing the window that shows my LaTeX.

When I made the change, I was trying to fix
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52467 (re-use the existing
`*tex-shell*' window) and I think I did.

Jeff, could you please reproduce the issue in `emacs -Q`?

Thank you!

-- 
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on Pop 22.04 (jammy) X 11.0.12101004
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com
https://honestreporting.com https://www.peaceandtolerance.org/
Live Lisp and prosper.