Subject: Re: bug#63916: 30.0.50; use-package: changes do not propagate to elpa-devel

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 15:35:04 -0400

Hi,

> Instead of looking only at the git log of the main package file, we
> look instead at the git log of all files of the core package.
> This way, a new devel version is created when any other package file is
> changed, not just the main file.

It has a minor downside which is that it slows down the overwhelming
cases (where there are no changes), but it's probably lost in the noise,
so it sounds like a very good idea, thank you.

> Is this the right mailing list to send the patch?

Yes.

[ BTW, Philip's `list-ensure` is called `ensure-list` :-)
  And yes, I think it's OK to use functionality from Emacs-28.  ]

>+  (when-let
>+      ((core (elpaa--spec-get pkg-spec :core)))

AFAICT this code is only used when `:core` is non-nil, so better either
not test for it redundantly, or do it via `cl-assert`.

>+                    (unless (member item excludes)

The code looks generally good, but I'm not sure about the one line
above:
- I know it won't do the right thing for ERC's "lisp/erc/ChangeLog.*"
  but it's probably harmless (those files basically never change
  anyway).
- I have the impression that it won't do the right thing for
  `use-package`'s "bind-key.el"

Also, I see you do (concat item file) but you only know that `item` is
a directory, not that it ends with a `/`.  Better use `file-name-concat`.

Last but not least: I think this doesn't quite qualify as "trivial" so
we'd need you to sign the copyright paperwork (well, maybe with some of
the suggested simplifications, it could qualify as "trivial", but it's
easier if you sign the paperwork so we don't have to worry about it,
especially if you ever submit more code, which I hope you will).
To that end, please fill the form below and email it to the FSF as
instructed so they can send you the appropriate paperwork to sign.

        Stefan

Please email the following information to [email-masked], and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]