Subject: bug#6391: emacs: Wrong face with here-docs in sh-mode

From: Dale Mellor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 22:42:00 +0000

On Sat, 2020-03-21 at 18:07 +0000, Dale Mellor wrote:
> Subject: Re: Bug#6391: emacs: Wrong face with here-docs in sh-mode
> 
> This bug is still present (since 2010!) in emacs-26.3.
> 
> Note that many of the previous comments are off the mark; it doesn't
> matter what characters make up the end marker, it is simply the
> presence of '-' at the start of the opening marker which triggers
> the 
> problem.
> 
> It would be really nice if someone would increase the severity of
> this
> bug.  The feature described may not be used very often, but when it
> is
> used the bug is a bit of a nightmare, and means that syntax
> highlighting of a shell script has to be turned off completely.

  Okay, I've made the error of combining '\' and '-' in the wrong
order, i.e. cat <<\-EOF...

  I can confirm that when these special characters are used in the
correct sequence, emacs highlighting works as it should, and this bug
is mostly fixed (but not for the '+++' case, which I think is probably
also wrong anyway).

  Sorry for the confusion, the bug can be considered closed as far as I
am concerned.