Subject: Re: bug#6390: Should not regexp-quote quote newline?

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:07:42 +0200

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Thanks, but that does not apply to the situation I am talking about.
>
> No, it is exactly what you want.

Yes, you are right. Something like this seems to do what I want:

(defun my-quote-string (str)
  "Return string STR quoted like `prin1' do it."
  (let ((ret (prin1-to-string str)))
    (substring ret 1 -1)))

>> But since misunderstandings are great here I might clarify the
>> situation: I am thinking about situations where you want to edit a
>> regexp. One such situation is for example editing the isearch regexp.
>
> You want to edit a (kind of) print representation of a string, not a
> quoted regexp (the only purpose of which is to create a regexp that
> matches exactly a given string).

Yes, I agree now. It is better to keep it conceptually separated like
that. However I then miss the function above.