Subject: Re: [External] : bug#63891: 29.0.91; customize-save-variable should not save all variables if a custom file exists

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:50:17 -0300

On 29/10/23 08:07, Michael Albinus wrote:
 > Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:
 >
 > Hi Mauro,
 >
 >> I guess at this point I need to hear from Michael to understand better
 >> about this 2 defcustoms in particular, and what are the expectations
 >> after modifying them.  I certainly wish the code goes back to using
 >> customize-set-variable or something similar, rather than
 >> custom-set-variables.
 >
 > I'm neutral to whatever is used. But applying customize-set-variable
 > as-it-is has the known drawbacks. If it is fixed in
 > customize-set-variable, or if there is another function, we could use it
 > for connection-local variables.

Yes, but that is because packages modify the user option without really
asking the user, as I've said in previous posts.  First thing to check
is if there's no way around doing that.

I see in Git history that not telling Custom about the change was used
before.  So I guess going back to that is not an option.

That leaves the alternative of using something like
customize-set-variable, but that it also tells Custom that it should
ignore the change, to not consider the option set by the user.

 > However, I don't work in the Customize area myself. Don't expect patches
 > from me.

That's OK.  I'll work on the Customize code to solve this issue, once I
figure out what's needed.