Subject: bug#63871: 29.0.91; JIT native comp triggered to compile loaddefs repeatedly on require

From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 14:22:41 +0100

Reproduction:

1. emacs -q -nsl --eval="(require 'cl-lib)"
2. C-x b TAB
3. Select *Async-native-compile-log*
4. The following is printed

```emacs-lisp
Compiling /opt/local/share/emacs/29.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-loaddefs.el.gz...
uncompressing cl-loaddefs.el.gz...
uncompressing cl-loaddefs.el.gz...done
Compilation finished.
```

Expectation:

This behavior is observed when any packages in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/
autoloads and require cl-lib, org or tramp as well.

The simple act of requiring a built-in Emacs package should not trigger
a JIT native compilation on an Emacs installation built with
`--with-native-compilation=aot`.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.5.0, NS
 appkit-2299.60 Version 13.4 (Build 22F66)) of 2023-06-01 built on
 MobileCat.localdomain
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.4

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-libgmp
 --with-gnutls --with-json --with-xml2 --with-modules --infodir
 /opt/local/share/info/emacs --with-sqlite3 --with-webp --with-ns
 --with-lcms2 --without-harfbuzz --without-imagemagick --without-xaw3d
 --with-tree-sitter --with-rsvg --with-native-compilation=aot
 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -Wno-attributes
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk -arch
 arm64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-rpath
 /opt/local/lib/gcc12 -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk
 -arch arm64''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  company-quickhelp-mode: t
  company-prescient-mode: t
  prescient-persist-mode: t
  imenu-list-minor-mode: t
  purpose-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  magit-todos-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  projectile-rails-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  crm-custom-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  dap-tooltip-mode: t
  dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
  dap-ui-controls-mode: t
  dap-ui-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  smooth-scrolling-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  rxt-global-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  global-whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  global-origami-mode: t
  global-move-dup-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-show-hunk-mouse-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  dap-auto-configure-mode: t
  dap-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-save-mode: t
  amx-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/site-start
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.17/jsonrpc hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/jsonrpc
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230602.2121/transient hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-jump hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-ensure hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-core hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-ensure-system-package-20221209.2013/use-package-ensure-system-package hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure-system-package
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-delight hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-diminish hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-bind-key hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-lint hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/verilog-mode-2022.12.18.181110314/verilog-mode hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/verilog-mode
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-1.15/eglot hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/eglot
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.3.4/flymake hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/soap-client
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/faceup-20170925.1946/faceup hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/faceup
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.14.0/eldoc hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug cl-print helpful cc-langs trace edebug
info-look elisp-refs misearch multi-isearch visual-regexp-steroids
visual-regexp facemenu two-column dired-aux vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs diff-hl-dired all-the-icons-dired dired-collapse
dired-hacks-utils company-quickhelp pos-tip company-prescient prescient
char-fold company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-yasnippet company-capf
company-files company-cmake company-clang company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb rainbow-mode elisp-def ert debug backtrace
display-line-numbers cap-words superword subword smartparens-rust
smartparens-config smartparens-javascript smartparens-ruby
smartparens-org smartparens-python smartparens-markdown smartparens-text
smartparens-c page-break-lines beginend window-purpose-x shut-up
imenu-list hideshow window-purpose window-purpose-fixes
window-purpose-prefix-overload window-purpose-switch
window-purpose-layout window-purpose-core window-purpose-configuration
window-purpose-utils ibuffer-projectile windmove dired-hide-dotfiles
shrink-path git-timemachine vc-git magit-lfs magit-todos hl-todo async
forge-list forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs
gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub url-http url-gw url-auth gnutls forge-notify forge-revnote
forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic bug-reference forge-post
forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite-common
emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode git-commit log-edit message
sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa gnus-util mailabbrev
gmm-utils add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm diff-hl-flydiff diff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util rg rg-info-hack rg-menu rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep
rg-history rg-header projectile-rails rake inflections inf-ruby
ruby-mode smie autoinsert lsp-metals view lsp-metals-treeview
treemacs-extensions treemacs-mouse-interface lsp-metals-protocol
lsp-sourcekit dap-java lsp-java request mailheader mail-utils lsp cargo
cargo-process rust-ts-mode cmake-ts-mode yard-mode lsp-pyright pet
lsp-jedi python-pytest projectile grep transient python-isort
python-black python compat python-insert-docstring typescript-ts-mode
prettier tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat ls-lisp nvm iter2 generator reformatter flycheck-package
package-lint finder finder-inf dockerfile-ts-mode toml-ts-mode
yaml-ts-mode eterm-256color term disp-table native-complete shell ehelp
xterm-color verb js c-ts-common treesit cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs url-queue
url-file org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs quick-peek lsp-ui
lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek
lsp-ui-sideline lsp-ui-util face-remap pdf-loader pdf-occur ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
pdf-isearch pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags
bookmark jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util format-spec pdf-macs
image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif iedit iedit-lib
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more mc-cycle-cursors
multiple-cursors-core rect crm-custom scroll-on-jump
pager-default-keybindings pager browse-kill-ring edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-delight exec-path-from-shell
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces all-the-icons-data-material-icons
all-the-icons-data-fluentui-system-icons
all-the-icons-data-fontawesome-4 all-the-icons-data-weather-icons
all-the-icons-data-vscode-codicons all-the-icons-data-octicons
all-the-icons-data-mfixx all-the-icons-data-file-icons
all-the-icons-data-devopicons all-the-icons-data-alltheicons svg dom xml
parse-time iso8601 time-date spaceline-config spaceline-segments
spaceline powerline powerline-separators powerline-themes
solarized-dark-theme solarized-theme solarized solarized-faces delight
quelpa-use-package use-package-core quelpa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
lisp-mnt help-fns radix-tree dap-mouse dap-ui lsp-treemacs
lsp-treemacs-generic lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib treemacs
treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode
treemacs-interface treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode
treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations
treemacs-async treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator pulse treemacs-faces treemacs-icons
treemacs-scope treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros gdb-mi bindat
gud bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button
bui-utils lsp-lens winner which-key which-func smooth-scrolling
smartparens loadhist server savehist saveplace pcre2el rxt re-builder
recentf mb-depth ido-vertical-mode ido-completing-read+ memoize cus-edit
pp minibuf-eldef help-at-pt whitespace-cleanup-mode whitespace so-long
origami origami-parsers cl move-dup hl-line flycheck find-func
diff-hl-show-hunk diff-hl-inline-popup diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir
vc vc-dispatcher company autorevert aggressive-indent gcmh flx-ido
advice flx ido icomplete editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch direnv diff-mode
easy-mmode desktop frameset delsel dap-mode dap-tasks dap-launch
lsp-docker yaml posframe dap-overlays lsp-mode lsp-protocol
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet xref project tree-widget wid-edit spinner
network-stream puny nsm markdown-mode color thingatpt noutline outline
lv inline imenu ht f f-shortdoc ewoc epg rfc6068 epg-config dash compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring auto-compile amx s
let-alist filenotify cus-load move-dup-autoloads gcmh-autoloads
yarn-mode-autoloads git-timemachine-autoloads web-mode-autoloads
cape-autoloads docker-compose-mode-autoloads
use-package-ensure-system-package-autoloads monky-autoloads
auto-yasnippet-autoloads company-prescient-autoloads
cycle-quotes-autoloads forge-autoloads auto-compile-autoloads
python-docstring-autoloads flycheck-plantuml-autoloads direnv-autoloads
lsp-pyright-autoloads graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads prettier-autoloads
editorconfig-autoloads lsp-sourcekit-autoloads protobuf-mode-autoloads
faceup-autoloads lsp-java-autoloads highlight-indent-guides-autoloads
eglot-autoloads jsonrpc-autoloads ts-comint-autoloads
impostman-autoloads macrostep-autoloads spaceline-autoloads
bug-hunter-autoloads graphql-mode-autoloads yard-mode-autoloads
git-modes-autoloads fontify-face-autoloads crm-custom-autoloads
buffer-move-autoloads window-purpose-autoloads shut-up-autoloads
pet-autoloads scroll-on-jump-autoloads swift-mode-autoloads
flycheck-package-autoloads magit-lfs-autoloads lsp-origami-autoloads
origami-autoloads flymake-autoloads marginalia-autoloads
pdf-tools-autoloads ido-completing-read+-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
verb-autoloads memoize-autoloads orderless-autoloads lsp-ui-autoloads
reason-mode-autoloads company-quickhelp-autoloads sbt-mode-autoloads
lsp-jedi-autoloads lsp-metals-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads
page-break-lines-autoloads smart-semicolon-autoloads
ssh-config-mode-autoloads sphinx-doc-autoloads
browse-kill-ring-autoloads dired-hide-dotfiles-autoloads
svg-lib-autoloads jsonian-autoloads amx-autoloads
eterm-256color-autoloads xterm-color-autoloads ialign-autoloads
dotenv-mode-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads default-text-scale-autoloads
iter2-autoloads enh-ruby-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
po-mode-autoloads dired-single-autoloads verilog-mode-autoloads
flycheck-cask-autoloads tuareg-autoloads caml-autoloads
all-the-icons-dired-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads jq-mode-autoloads
flx-isearch-autoloads package-build-autoloads derived
emmet-mode-autoloads imenu-list-autoloads closql-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads cask-mode-autoloads ghub-autoloads treepy-autoloads
company-native-complete-autoloads native-complete-autoloads
company-autoloads focus-autoloads flycheck-projectile-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads delight-autoloads flx-ido-autoloads
corfu-prescient-autoloads olivetti-autoloads lorem-ipsum-autoloads
wgrep-ag-autoloads soap-client-autoloads buttercup-autoloads
vundo-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads python-insert-docstring-autoloads
cargo-autoloads add-node-modules-path-autoloads request-autoloads
pos-tip-autoloads expand-region-autoloads sass-mode-autoloads
haml-mode-autoloads powerline-autoloads smartparens-autoloads
nvm-autoloads nodejs-repl-autoloads prescient-autoloads
string-inflection-autoloads visual-regexp-steroids-autoloads
terraform-mode-autoloads flycheck-inline-autoloads
whitespace-cleanup-mode-autoloads projectile-rails-autoloads
rake-autoloads inf-ruby-autoloads inflections-autoloads
lsp-docker-autoloads yaml-autoloads python-pytest-autoloads
flycheck-golangci-lint-autoloads flycheck-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads
epl-autoloads scala-mode-autoloads quick-peek-autoloads
tablist-autoloads groovy-mode-autoloads imenu-anywhere-autoloads
pager-default-keybindings-autoloads pager-autoloads bui-autoloads
system-packages-autoloads repeat-help-autoloads apib-mode-autoloads
quelpa-use-package-autoloads quelpa-autoloads package-lint-autoloads
ido-vertical-mode-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads beginend-autoloads smooth-scrolling-autoloads
vterm-autoloads which-key-autoloads aggressive-indent-autoloads
diff-hl-autoloads use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads
ron-mode-autoloads rg-autoloads wgrep-autoloads hcl-mode-autoloads
visual-regexp-autoloads udev-mode-autoloads dired-collapse-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads ag-autoloads arduino-mode-autoloads ede/auto
eieio-base corfu-terminal-autoloads popon-autoloads corfu-autoloads
crux-autoloads elisp-def-autoloads coverage-autoloads ov-autoloads
shift-number-autoloads python-isort-autoloads magit-todos-autoloads
pcre2el-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads compat-autoloads kurecolor-autoloads
ibuffer-projectile-autoloads projectile-autoloads flx-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads eldoc-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads treemacs-autoloads
cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads
pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads
yasnippet-snippets-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads python-black-autoloads
reformatter-autoloads iedit-autoloads async-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads plantuml-mode-autoloads helpful-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads ht-autoloads info
dash-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
password-cache json map byte-opt url-vars comp comp-cstr warnings icons
subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile gv
pcase bootstrap-theme cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1412252 300730)
 (symbols 48 87355 0)
 (strings 32 310425 62908)
 (string-bytes 1 9819007)
 (vectors 16 171415)
 (vector-slots 8 4797552 315357)
 (floats 8 836 2039)
 (intervals 56 2789 741)
 (buffers 984 29))