Subject: bug#63861: [PATCH] pp.el: New "pretty printing" code

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:39:07 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 14:26:54 -0400
> 
> +(defun pp-28 (beg &optional end)        ;FIXME: Better name?
> +  "Prettify the current region with printed representation of a Lisp object.
> +Uses the pretty-printing algorithm that was standard in Emacs≤29.
                                                           ^^^^^^^^
Please avoid non-ASCII characters in doc strings: they could produce
display problems on less-than-capable terminals.

> +@defun pp object-or-beg &optional stream-or-end
> +This function indents and fills the printed representation of an
> +object (typically representing ELisp code) to make it more readable
> +for humans.
> +
> +It accepts two calling conventions: if called with two integers
> +@var{beg} and @var{end}, it indents and fills the corresponding
> +region, presumably containing the printed representation of one or
> +more objects, otherwise it takes a @var{object} and an optional
> +@var{stream}, and prints @var{object} like @code{prin1}, but does it
> +in a prettier way.

This text references arguments like @var{object} that are named
differently in the @defun line.