Subject: Re: bug#6385: A slightly less aggressive fit-window-to-buffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:21:02 +0200

> I believe fit-window-to-buffer has become a bit upset and unnecessary
 > aggressive because of visual lines. It looks like it need a bit more
 > feedback from the display system to be really sure that the buffer is
 > entirely visible.
 >
 > The attached patch is something I have used to get around the problem.
 > I am not sure it is the right thing but I am rather sure it does not
 > hurt.

IIUC your change defeats the whole point of `pos-visible-in-window-p',
namely to calculate a position without doing a redisplay.  Worse even,
you might end up doing multiple redisplays within a loop.

TRT would be to handle the various line cases within `pos_visible_p'.
And obviously get rid of resizing windows within a loop.

 > Of course we need a non-killing version of fit-window-to-buffer, but
 > for the moment this patch might be useful.

What is a "non-killing version of fit-window-to-buffer"?

martin