Subject: bug#6385: A slightly less aggressive fit-window-to-buffer

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:21:06 -0700

> Deleting other windows when resizing was a misguided feature.

I'm very glad to hear you say that, sincerely.

> I don't do that any more for quite some time and didn't
> miss it yet ;-)

FWIW, I still see it happening in:

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-06-07 on 3249CTO

And unfortunately, I need my code to work in multiple Emacs versions.  It is
only for Emacs 23 (.1 and .2 and more recent) that this is a problem - I do not
see it happening before 23. So even if you might have a more recent version with
a fix I will still need a workaround for use with Emacs 23.

Is there a simple way to prevent deletion of other windows when using
`fit-window-to-buffer'? So far, I've just been let-binding `min-window-height'
to 1 around the call. Other suggestions welcome.

The use case of wanting to show as much of a buffer as possible without deleting
other windows in the frame, and also shrinking the window to the buffer size
when it can all be shown, has got to be a common use case.

Also, for the same type of buffer/window (typically a pop-up window such as
*Completions*), it would be good to have a simple way to make scrolling not show
half a window of blank space after the buffer text, when you scroll near the
buffer bottom. IOW, be able to have the end of the buffer act similarly to the
beginning: not have the window go beyond eob.