Subject: bug#6385: A slightly less aggressive fit-window-to-buffer

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:15:25 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I believe fit-window-to-buffer has become a bit upset and unnecessary
>> aggressive because of visual lines. It looks like it need a bit more
>> feedback from the display system to be really sure that the buffer is
>> entirely visible.
>>
>> The attached patch is something I have used to get around the problem.
>> I am not sure it is the right thing but I am rather sure it does not
>> hurt.
>
> IIUC your change defeats the whole point of `pos-visible-in-window-p',
> namely to calculate a position without doing a redisplay.

Yes, I know. I hoped someone had a better idea long term idea. Doing a
redisplay is just a quick fix.

What I saw was the even  2 lines high buffer made fit-window-to-buffer
delete sibling windows. All the time - but... I thought I knew how to
reproduce it. So I did not write any test procedures, I was just a bit
irritated. A mistake.

> Worse even,
> you might end up doing multiple redisplays within a loop.

Yes, I know. Maybe the first redisplay was all that was needed.

> TRT would be to handle the various line cases within `pos_visible_p'.

Thanks, I will leave this for the moment, but keep it in mind.

> And obviously get rid of resizing windows within a loop.
>
>> Of course we need a non-killing version of fit-window-to-buffer, but
>> for the moment this patch might be useful.
>
> What is a "non-killing version of fit-window-to-buffer"?

This function killed all other siblings even if it just actually needs
two lines if certain conditions are met. (Those I tried to describe.)

So this was just a desperate attempt to stop that. I do not know what
to do at the moment. I will try to reproduce this and look a bit
closer at it later.