Subject: bug#63844: closed (Re: bug#63844: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Revert Python mode multiline font-lock)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 19:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63844: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Revert Python mode multiline font-lock

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63844: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63844
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63844: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Revert Python mode multiline font-lock
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: kobarity <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:28:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Thanks, installed on the emacs-29 branch.

This bug was left open, so I'm closing it now.

Subject: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Revert Python mode multiline font-lock
From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 23:22:34 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm sorry, but I would like to revert my following fix:

"Enhance Python font-lock to support multilines"
commit 4915ca5dd4245a909c046e6691e8d4a1919890c8

I have found that there are performance issues when editing a large
file.  The issue can be reproduced as follows:

1. emacs -Q
2. Open large Python file (e.g. turtle.py in Python)
3. Near the top of the buffer, enter open paren and some characters.

The above commit extends the region to be font-locked using
`python-nav-end-of-statement'.  However, if there are unbalanced
parens, it may move point to the end of the buffer.  This causes
almost the entire buffer to be font-locked, which is not acceptable
for large files.

Attached is a patch to revert the commit in emacs-29 branch.

Best Regards,

--
In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-05-27 built on ubuntu
Repository revision: 1eb5faa26113afe5895955a74594e3d7cf6ffe98
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils term/screen term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 47140 9068)
 (symbols 48 5843 0)
 (strings 32 15000 1957)
 (string-bytes 1 423096)
 (vectors 16 8304)
 (vector-slots 8 106018 9640)
 (floats 8 25 10769)
 (intervals 56 300 2)
 (buffers 984 11))