Subject: Re: bug#63829: 29.0.90; project-find-file's future history breaks with common-parent-directory

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 05:26:23 +0300

On 17/08/2023 22:41, Spencer Baugh wrote:
> Also, I realized just now that this should probably affect
> project-find-dir as well, as should my previous patch adding
> project-relative future history.  (I actually coincidentally just now
> got a user request for "switch between projects and stay in the same
> dir")
> 
> So here's a revised version of this history change which also affects
> project-find-dir.  In a subsequent mail I'll send a patch for the
> "future history" behavior of project-find-dir too.  (yet to be written)

Installed, with a few alterations:

- project--expand-file-name -> project--transplant-file-name (seems more 
explicit for understanding)
- The new option renamed to project-file-history-behavior with values t 
or 'relativize. I thought about removing it, but after all, the change 
is a bit exotic, so there's bound to be people who would want to disable 
it. And the new name is also more extensible (extra behaviors I could 
think of by now: 'relativize-when-exists or 'separate -- the latter 
could mean to use separate history var other than file-name-history). No 
hurry to implement any of those, though.
- project-or-external-find-file needs some special handling of the 
relativization when external file names are chosen. Better solutions 
welcome.
- Announcement in NEWS. :-)