Subject: bug#63816: 29.0.91; Don't prompt to save `send-mail-function' if in `emacs -q'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 20:05:54 +0000

emacs -Q
M-x report-emacs-bug
Write a bug report, then `C-c C-c'.
Confirm sending a report.
Hit `RET' to accept `mail client' as the send method.

You're prompted to save that choice:

  Save this mail sending choice? (y or n) y

This prompt makes no sense.  You anyway get this error message:

  Setting 'send-mail-function' temporarily since "emacs -q" would
  overwrite customizations

Please consider not prompting for something if the user's answer makes
no difference.  This just wastes time and misleads or confuses users.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-05-14 built
 on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.2965)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(cl-extra cl-print cus-edit cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit mailalias
mailclient browse-url textsec uni-scripts url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs json map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check pp shadow sort mail-extr
emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils info
misearch multi-isearch time-date subr-x shortdoc text-property-search
thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode dired-aux cl-loaddefs cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 214583 25608)
 (symbols 48 9633 3)
 (strings 32 44449 2671)
 (string-bytes 1 888217)
 (vectors 16 40469)
 (vector-slots 8 647027 32214)
 (floats 8 126 41)
 (intervals 56 1051 0)
 (buffers 984 15))