Subject: bug#63800: [elpa] elpa-admin 1d766451f8: Suggest `package-install' to install packages (bug#63800)

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:35:53 +0000

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There is no bug in Emacs here. Just on ELPA page providing instructions
>> that are not working for :core packages.
>
> I still think there's a bug in there because the behavior may not be
> what the user expects.  Maybe `package-install` should be improved so
> that, instead of doing nothing it tells or prompts the user about the
> possibility to upgrade the package (presumably only do it when called interactively).

AFAIU, one of the problems is that already installed packages do not
even show up in the completion and one cannot enter
M-x package-install <RET> org <RET>. The last <RET> will only trigger
completion window where org is not listed at all.

But wasn't this discussed in the past? There was quite a lengthy
discussion about this in the past (I did not quite follow it until the
end).

>> I could also put the `list-packages' suggestion behind check if the
>> package is :core or not.
>
> That would be best.  Even better would be to provide instructions we
> don't have to be ashamed of.  E.g. replace `package-install` with
> `package-upgrade` for packages that are in-core.

package-upgrade is not available in any of the released Emacs versions.
Do note that some people still use ELPA to install packages for Emacs
26.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>