Subject: bug#63800: [elpa] elpa-admin 1d766451f8: Suggest `package-install' to install packages (bug#63800)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 09:28:22 -0400

>> But this should be motivated by a preference, not by a bug (which we
>> should fix instead)
> There is no bug in Emacs here. Just on ELPA page providing instructions
> that are not working for :core packages.

I still think there's a bug in there because the behavior may not be
what the user expects.  Maybe `package-install` should be improved so
that, instead of doing nothing it tells or prompts the user about the
possibility to upgrade the package (presumably only do it when called interactively).

>> .... , and not by something that only affects a tiny
>> minority of packages (otherwise, change the above code so it only
>> affects those very few packages).
> I could also put the `list-packages' suggestion behind check if the
> package is :core or not.

That would be best.  Even better would be to provide instructions we
don't have to be ashamed of.  E.g. replace `package-install` with
`package-upgrade` for packages that are in-core.

        Stefan