Subject: bug#63800: 30.0.50; [ELPA] Inaccurate installation instructions for built-in packages

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 20:56:45 +0000

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Perhaps a simpler alternative is to stop referencing 'package-install'
>> and instead point uses to 'M-x list-packages'.
>
> I think this would be better as well.  A lot of users don't even know
> what version they use, so we should have to describe how to find that
> out as well.

I hope that we do not have a situation on ELPA where a package cannot be
installed at all on older Emacs.

> ... And if that isn't enough, we would also have to explain
> what core, built-in and ELPA packages are, and how they interact.  Not
> worth it, IMO.

I think it is still worth mentioning that some packages may already be
shipped with Emacs. I do not feel too strongly about this though.

I am OK with changing the installation/upgrade instructions to M-x
list-packages for built-in packages.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>