Subject: Re: bug#63800: 30.0.50; [ELPA] Inaccurate installation instructions for built-in packages

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 15:35:48 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 15/06/2023 09:04, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> I have no problem with the command. I have problem with_ELPA page_
>> mentioning this command for built-in packages.
>
> Cool.
>
>> If you look into my other email, I suggested indicating on the ELPA
>> page when a package is built-in and also add instructions how to upgrade
>> it. That makes more sense_for ELPA page_.
>
> Not a bad idea, though it will also require adding some metadata on
> when the package was added to Emacs.
>
> Perhaps a simpler alternative is to stop referencing 'package-install'
> and instead point uses to 'M-x list-packages'.

I think this would be better as well.  A lot of users don't even know
what version they use, so we should have to describe how to find that
out as well.  And if that isn't enough, we would also have to explain
what core, built-in and ELPA packages are, and how they interact.  Not
worth it, IMO.