Subject: bug#63800: 30.0.50; [ELPA] Inaccurate installation instructions for built-in packages

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 06:04:18 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Sure. But only in Emacs >=29 and it is not mentioned on the ELPA page.
>> For Emacs <29 ELPA instruction simply does not work - attempting to
>> follow it will just produce unhelpful message that package is already
>> installed.
>
> Is that a problem with the command or with the expectations?
>
> When Org is built-in, it *is* already installed, isn't it?

I have no problem with the command. I have problem with _ELPA page_
mentioning this command for built-in packages.

Org is always built-in. If a user goes to ELPA page, she most likely
wants to upgrade Org. And ELPA instructions do not tell how to do it.
Basically, what ELPA page for Org tells will not work for any common
Emacs version in the wild (and will not work for older Emacses that did
not ship with Org as well - they are not supported).

If you look into my other email, I suggested indicating on the ELPA
page when a package is built-in and also add instructions how to upgrade
it. That makes more sense _for ELPA page_.

This bug is not about `package-install'. This bug is about ELPA web page.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>