Subject: bug#63794: Acknowledgement (Bad error reporting in case of 404 during downloading)

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 15:25:10 +0200

From: Christopher Baines
 > I think the key bits here might be a duplicate of #63634

Looks like I need to upgrade my Guix system to fix substitution ... but 
"guix system build" is currently failing, which needs [cycle!].

This time when doing "guix system build" I have a new error:

[...]
/gnu/store/qsb7s87y575f42zf79hyjih6adsdwpxb-python-fontmath-0.9.3 
vervangen...
aan het downloaden van 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/l0xjgpcglms6ragxdpmjpkln7k4hjhd3-guix-1.4.0-6.dc5430c...
  guix-1.4.0-6.dc5430c  44.3MiB 
    4.7MiB/s 00:04 ▕████████▏         ▏  45.5%guix substitute: 
waarschuwing: tijdens het binnenhalen van 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/9y974g8k1rwv8bwxmshc4fl2dzm6cfij-upower-1.90.0: 
de server is een beetje traag
guix substitute: waarschuwing: probeer ‘--no-substitutes’ als het 
probleem hardnekkig is
retrying download of 
'/gnu/store/9y974g8k1rwv8bwxmshc4fl2dzm6cfij-upower-1.90.0' with other 
substitute URLs...
[...]
retrying download of 
'/gnu/store/s94ng28j332my12r3qwvndk4w8kg7awx-openbios-qemu-ppc-1.1-1.af97fd7' 
with other substitute URLs...
guix substitute: waarschuwing: tijdens het binnenhalen van 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/crsnsry2c0q55vi58g53qh2fr9ndb9qn-module-import-compiled: 
de server is een beetje traag
guix substitute: waarschuwing: probeer ‘--no-substitutes’ als het 
probleem hardnekkig is
guix substitute: waarschuwing: tijdens het binnenhalen van 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/qsb7s87y575f42zf79hyjih6adsdwpxb-python-fontmath-0.9.3: 
de server is een beetje traag
guix substitute: waarschuwing: probeer ‘--no-substitutes’ als het 
probleem hardnekkig is
retrying download of 
'/gnu/store/crsnsry2c0q55vi58g53qh2fr9ndb9qn-module-import-compiled' 
with other substitute URLs...
retrying download of 
'/gnu/store/qsb7s87y575f42zf79hyjih6adsdwpxb-python-fontmath-0.9.3' with 
other substitute URLs...
  guix-1.4.0-6.dc5430c  44.3MiB 
    3.1MiB/s 00:09 ▕███████████▊      ▏  65.6%guix substitute: 
waarschuwing: tijdens het binnenhalen van 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/9y974g8k1rwv8bwxmshc4fl2dzm6cfij-upower-1.90.0: 
de server is een beetje traag
guix substitute: waarschuwing: probeer ‘--no-substitutes’ als het 
probleem hardnekkig is
guix substitute: fout: failed to find alternative substitute for 
'/gnu/store/9y974g8k1rwv8bwxmshc4fl2dzm6cfij-upower-1.90.0'
vervanging van /gnu/store/9y974g8k1rwv8bwxmshc4fl2dzm6cfij-upower-1.90.0 
mislukt
guix system: fout: beschadigde invoer tijdens het terugplaatsen van het 
archief uit #<closed: file 7fdab54d1700>

I haven't seen this ‘failed to alternative substitute for [...]’ before 
and it seems unrelated to #63634. There is also bad error reporting 
here: failing to find a substitute is not a form of ‘corrupted/damaged 
input’.

I'll do the usual tricks (*) to work-around for now, to get the fix in 
#63634 even though it doesn't fix everything.

(*): while :; do guix system build /etc/config.scm -M1; done

Greetings,
Maxime.