Subject: 29.0.91; tty emacs on macOS fail to load tree-sitter

From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 00:46:08 +0100

This is a bit of a strange one.

I'm testing 2 custom compiled emacs on macOS, both were built via [this
recipe](https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/editors/emacs/Portfile)
but with the latest emacs-29 commit and its corresponding checksums.

The NS port built from the emacs-app-devel port (I'm submitting this
report from the TTY port), is able to find the tree-sitter language
libraries, but not the TTY port, despite both were configured using the
exact same prefix, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS and the --with-tree-sitter flag on.

## TTY emacs 29 on macOS:

ESC M-: (treesit-language-available-p 'java t) RET

```
(nil not-found ("libtree-sitter-java.so" "libtree-sitter-java.so.0" "libtree-sitter-java.so.0.0" "libtree-sitter-java.dylib" "libtree-sitter-java.dylib.0" "libtree-sitter-java.dylib.0.0") "No such file or directory")
```

## NS emacs 29:

ESC M-: (treesit-language-available-p 'java t) RET

```
t
```

## Installed MacPorts tree-sitter library versions:

```
tree-sitter @0.20.8_1 (active)
tree-sitter-bash @0.19.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-c @0.20.2_0 (active)
tree-sitter-c-sharp @0.20.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-cmake @0.1.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-cpp @0.20.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-css @0.19.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-dockerfile @0.1.2_0 (active)
tree-sitter-go @0.19.1_0 (active)
tree-sitter-go-mod @20220517_0 (active)
tree-sitter-html @0.19.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-java @0.20.1_0 (active)
tree-sitter-javascript @0.20.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-json @0.19.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-python @0.20.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-ruby @0.19.0_0 (active)
tree-sitter-rust @0.20.3_0 (active)
tree-sitter-toml @0.5.1_0 (active)
tree-sitter-tsx @0.20.2_0 (active)
tree-sitter-typescript @0.20.2_0 (active)
tree-sitter-yaml @0.5.0_0 (active)
```

## TTY emacs configuration

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.4.0) of 2023-05-27
 built on MobileCat.localdomain
System Description:  macOS 13.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-ns
 --without-x --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-libotf
 --without-m17n-flt --with-libgmp --with-gnutls --with-json --with-xml2
 --with-modules --infodir /opt/local/share/info/emacs --with-sqlite3
 --with-webp --with-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation=aot
 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -Wno-attributes
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk -arch
 arm64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-rpath
 /opt/local/lib/gcc12 -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk
 -arch arm64''

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE
PDUMPER SQLITE3 THREADS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

## NS emacs configuration

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.4.0, NS
 appkit-2299.50 Version 13.3.1 (a) (Build 22E772610a)) of 2023-05-26
 built on MobileCat.localdomain
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-libgmp
 --with-gnutls --with-json --with-xml2 --with-modules --infodir
 /opt/local/share/info/emacs --with-sqlite3 --with-webp --with-ns
 --with-lcms2 --without-harfbuzz --without-imagemagick --without-xaw3d
 --with-tree-sitter --with-rsvg --with-xwidgets
 --with-native-compilation=aot 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -Wno-attributes
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk -arch
 arm64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-rpath
 /opt/local/lib/gcc12 -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk
 -arch arm64''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix