Subject: Re: bug#63744: 28.2; fix dired-guess-default

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 15:38:21 +0300

> From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 11:49:27 +0800
> 
> If we put all these details behind and look from the users' perspective,
> I wonder if there is a chance for Emacs 28.

It doesn't look like there will be another Emacs 28.x release.

And, given the change to the code, I don't think this is appropriate
for Emacs 29.1, either.  It's too late for such changes on the release
branch.

> Basically this feature has been there and working since at least Emacs
> 24 (or even earlier). It may be an accident which I only discovered last
> week though the bug has been annoying me for a few months since I
> upgraded from Emacs 27. For users this is a regression and it's bad.

If it's a bad regression, why didn't we hear about it until now?
Emacs 28.1 was released more than a year ago, and was in pretest for
several months before that.  My guess would be that this accidental
"feature" is not used frequently enough to be a bad regression.

And I don't object to extending Dired in this way, I just don't think
we should do that in Emacs 29.  There are enough real bad problems and
regressions that block its release, and I'm not thrilled adding
another non-trivial change so late.  Sorry.