Subject: Re: bug#63742: 30.0.50; [BUG] package.el having a hard time

From: Ruijie Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 19:27:07 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> merge 63742 63679 63716 63710
> thanks
>
>>     $ cd $(mktemp -d)
>>     $ HOME=$PWD XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME/.config emacs -Q
>>     M-x package-initialize RET
>>     M-x list-packages RET
>>     ;; And wait for it to finish listing packages from gnu and nongnu
>> 
>>     / n xr RET
>>     ;; find some package to install, any package suffices
>>     i x SPC
>>     ;; Install it
>> 
>> Observe the error message shown in the minibuffer.  The following is the
>> full message from trying to install the package.
>> 
> Does the problem go away if you rebuild without native-compilation?
> If yes, this is a known problem (bug#63679), and Andrea (CC'ed) is
> aware of that, I think.

Indeed, this problem goes away if I rebuild without native-compilation.
To minimize changes, I used the same commit (bb7605c), and used the same
config options except for native comp.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-native-compilation=no
 --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk --without-xaw3d --with-sound=alsa
 --with-tree-sitter '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

By the way, do we have a bisect for this, where we know what revision(s)
introduced this issue?  If not, (and if I have time during the weekend,)
I can try to bisect it.  And in the meantime, I'll sit on all my
known-good builds until this issue is fixed.

Some data points:

- known good version (the build I'm using to send this message):
  "fa598571adab4858282f337b45984517e197f8a9"

- known bad version (the build where I observed the reported issues):
  "bb7605c087006b714236165f88341545355d3673"

-- 
Best,

RY