Subject: Re: bug#63732: Tailing Difficulities

From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 19:55:19 +0200

tag 63732 notabug
close 63732
stop

On 5/26/23 02:26, Greg Carter via GNU coreutils Bug Reports wrote:
> Got this when executing `tail -f install/MYSYBASE.log` for an SAP ASE
> message log (a text file) with a Docker container:
> ```
> tail: unrecognized file system type 0x794c7630 for 'install/MYSYBASE.log'.
> please report this to [email-masked]. reverting to polling
> ```
Thanks for the report.

That docker image seems to use a quite old coreutils version:
'overlayfs' - commonly used with Docker containers - has been added
in version 8.25 which was released in 2016.
Consider upgrading Coreutils if possible - we're at 9.3 currently.

See https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/filesystems.html for
more details.

Have a nice day,
Berny