Subject: use-package not working

From: Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 07:47:59 +0200

Hi,

I compiled emacs master yesterday and use-package doesn't work anymore.

When I compile emacs, I delete .emacs.d/elpa and .emacs.d/eln-cache to

I get error messages like:

Error (use-package): Failed to install compat: Wrong type argument: 
package-desc, nil
Error (use-package): Cannot load compat

for all packages, after they are downloaded from ELPA.

Bug reports don't work either except from

emacs -Q

  In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-05-24 built on ac93448f1beb
Repository revision: b2b2be98da5825e6bc130999ffe38f5ed615586a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=30 --with-json --with-x
  --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-cairo --with-compress-install
  --with-modules=yes --with-threads --with-included-regex --with-zlib
  --with-tree-sitter=no --with-native-compilation=yes 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
  -ffile-prefix-map=/home/paag/emacs=. -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
  -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
  -Werror=format-security' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
  -flto=auto -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: es_ES.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_ES.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: es_ES.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 81546 9353)
  (symbols 48 7199 0)
  (strings 32 19683 2048)
  (string-bytes 1 576586)
  (vectors 16 15754)
  (vector-slots 8 328868 16272)
  (floats 8 29 54)
  (intervals 56 360 0)
  (buffers 976 12))