Subject: bug#637: 23.0.60; configure using faulty defaults, causing failure to build temacs?

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:37:13 +0200

Hello!

When I configure the X11 client under Mac OS X 10.4.11 as:

	./configure --without-sound --without-pop --with-dbus --with-libotf  
--with-x-toolkit=athena --enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\  
Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs/caml:/ 
Library/Application\ Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib  
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/ 
lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/ 
share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/ 
X11R6/lib/pkgconfig CFLAGS="-ggdb -gfull -H -Wno-pointer-sign - 
bind_at_load -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -mno-powerpc64 -fast - 
mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -fno-crossjumping" CPPFLAGS="-no-cpp- 
precomp -I/sw/include -I/usr/local/include -idirafter /usr/X11R6/ 
include" LDFLAGS="-bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined  
suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib"

in the end this command is executed to build temacs:

	gcc -I/sw/include -L/sw/lib  -prebind -Xlinker -headerpad -Xlinker  
690 -bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ 
ncurses -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib - 
o temacs pre-crt0.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o xmenu.o  
window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o  
cm.o term.o terminal.o xfaces.o xterm.o xfns.o xselect.o xrdb.o  
fontset.o xsmfns.o fringe.o image.o  dbusbind.o emacs.o keyboard.o  
macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o  
minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o  
indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o  
callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o syntax.o  
unexmacosx.o bytecode.o process.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o  
atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o  
md5.o    xfont.o ftfont.o xftfont.o ftxfont.o terminfo.o lastfile.o   
widget.o    ../lwlib/liblw.a -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw3d -lXmu -lXt -lSM  
-lICE -lXext -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lgif -lXpm -lX11 -L/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXft -lfreetype -lXrender - 
lfontconfig  -L/sw/lib -lrsvg-2 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lgobject-2.0 - 
lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv -L/sw/lib -ldbus-1 -lresolv - 
lncurses  -L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -L/sw/lib -Wl,- 
framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -lotf - 
lfreetype -lz

The part "-Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,- 
framework,ApplicationServices" looks suspicious to me. It can be the  
cause for the following in the *compilation* buffer:

	cd ../lisp; make -k update-subdirs
	wd=.../emacs/lisp; subdirs=`(cd $wd; find . -type d -print)`; for  
file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* |  
*/.* | */.*/* | */=* ) ;; *) wins="$wins $wd/$file" ;; esac; done; \
	for file in $wins; do \
	   .../emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
	done;
	`/bin/pwd`/temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap
	make[2]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Bus error (core dumped)
	make[2]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
	make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
	make[1]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
	make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.