Subject: bug#63669: Cutter package is heavily outdated and uses wrong backend

From: Juliana Sims <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:36:06 -0400

Hello,

I've managed to package the latest version of Cutter, thanks in part to 
Rizin now being in Guix.

I was not able to enable Python-based plugins because python-pyside-2 
was unable to find the include directory for one of its inputs (also an 
input to Cutter), specifically <QtQml/qqml.h>. I suspect this is due to 
the way python-pyside-2 is packaged. Input include paths are manually 
exposed to the C++ compiler by an environment variable rather than 
through the build system itself. I'm already several tangents away from 
where I started before deciding to update Cutter, though, so I don't 
think I'll bother with that for this patchset. From what I understand, 
the version of Cutter this package definition builds already has more 
functionality than the version that existed before the update, backend 
change aside.

I'm now trying to get the rz-ghidra and jsdec decompiler plugins 
(recommended to Linux distribution packagers by the Cutter build docs) 
to work as well, but I'm having trouble making sure Cutter can find 
them. Specifically, I have rz-ghidra successfully building and 
installing where it probably should, 
"/share/rizin/cutter/plugins/native" in its package directory. Since I 
don't know for sure how to install plugins yet I haven't started on 
jsdec.

I'm tempted to just abandon the plugins idea and say this is good 
enough. Anyone have thoughts or opinions about that?

Thanks,
Juli