Subject: Re: bug#63662: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6: Document how to connect over SOCKS

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 07:47:26 -0500

On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 7:05 AM Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > The command I've added tries to activate `emacs-news-view-mode' if
> > defined, but I'm not sure we can change the actual prop line because
> > older Emacs versions we support (27+) don't seem to have the file
> > emacs-news-mode.el.
>
> So we might release it on GNU ELPA? In its current version, it compiles
> only with Emacs 29+, but it shouldn't be too hard to make it compatible
> with older Emacs versions.

Is your idea that e-n-v-m would become part of compact?

Otherwise, I think ERC would use it only when it is already installed
(which is much the same situation as now).  AFAIK we do not install
things (even from GNU ELPA) automatically when desired by some core
package.