Subject: Re: bug#63648: 29.0.90; project.el: with switch-use-entire-map, switch-project errors on non-project commands

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 09:46:25 +0300

>>>>>>> (Tangential further thought: I wonder if we could make C-x p work
>>>>>>> as a prefix for all commands automatically, so for example
>>>>>>> C-x p C-x C-j would open the project root,
>>
>> I just noticed that 'C-x p C-x C-j' would open the parent directory
>> of the project root, not the root itself, since 'C-x C-j' in the root
>> jumps to its parent.
>
> Only in dired buffers.  If not in dired, and not in a file-visiting
> buffer, it just goes to default-directory.

You are right, I tried with the next-default-directory patch,
and it works like you described.

> That is kind of annoying for making C-x p p C-x C-j go to the root,
> though, because its behavior will depend on the current buffer...  Maybe
> C-x p p can switch buffers before running the command?

Alas, can't switch buffers because such commands as 'C-x p g'
read the default value from the current buffer.

> Or maybe we can just change how C-x C-j behaves so it works
> intuitively with C-x p p?

The problem is in 'C-x C-j'.  In dired buffers it uses the value of
'dired-subdir-alist' instead of 'default-directory', so the patch with
'next-default-directory' doesn't help.